Spacenavigator really slow in Solidworks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dtom001

Post by dtom001 »

I'm running SW08 SP5 in XP Professional, with a SpaceNavigator SE. The Spacenavigator works with no hesitation, but at about 1/100 speed. The control panel works (I can change the rotation speed from glacial up to really really slow), everything gets recognized, but everything is just really slow. Any suggestions?

The problem persists if I change to a Notebook Spacenavigator, too. And also in SW09 SP1.

Thanks for any help

Tom
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear dtom001,

What security software are you running? You may need to make some exceptions. What other devices are you running? Any Wacom equipment?
What are your current system specs? What release version of 3DxSoftware? (3dconnexion control panel, help, about)

Sincerely,
Bryan
Last edited by Bryan on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtom001

Post by dtom001 »

I don't currently have any security software running, in an effort to track down this problem.

The only other device running is a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0, using Microsoft Intellipoint 6.1. I'm not running any Wacom equipment.

Current system spec:

XP Pro version 2002 SP3
Dell Precision PWS390
Intel Core2 CPU
6600 @ 2.4GHz
2.39 GHz, 2.0GB RAM

3dXSoftware
Release Version 3.6.11
(driver version 6.6.4)
Firmware Version 3.17
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear dtom001,

So you have tried using different setting in both the Overall Speed Slider in bar under the Device Configuration Tab and also the six individual Speed Slider Bars under the Advanced Settings Tab in the 3Dconnexion Control Panel?

Do you also observe this slow motion in the Jet Demo?
(Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion 3DxWare, Demos)

In Task Manager, under the Processes Tab can you identify a program that may be consuming an extraordinary percent of CPU resources?
(Ctrl-Alt-Delete)

Sincerely,
Bryan
BGolden

Re: Spacenavigator really slow in Solidworks

Post by BGolden »

Although this issue and fix I found for this was while using NX, this has been an identical issue for several CAD software packages that I've used in the past. One would assume they are related.

Here's what I found:
1. During install/reinstall, all of the program files may not have been deleted from previous installations meaning drivers/settings from older version could be causing interference. Uninstall 3DxWare from Windows as well as any Logitech Software (space navigators with a screen display such as the SpacePilot Pro use Logitech drivers and applets to function).

2. Navigate to Program Files on your main drive (C:\Program Files) and delete folders with labeled 3Dconnexion or Logitech (including Logitech Gaming Software). note you will need to reinstall any Logitech drivers for other hardware such as Logitech Unifying Software, or don't delete those subfolders specifically.

3. Clean up Windows temp files and system junk files (Run Disk Cleanup).

4. This I believe is the primary cause: If your graphics card/software has gaming functionality such as most NVIDIA cards, it will have an "in game" mode that will initialize in the background to control fps, screen recording etc. In my case, it recognizes NX as a game. Open your graphics card user interface (GeForce Experience, etc.) and disable In-Game Mode for your CAD software or entirely.

These steps will hopefully fix the issue. I might add that other visualization software or enhancements that you may have installed could likely cause the same sort of issue, intuitively.

Cheers and good luck!