Trouble with the soft part

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ManDay

Trouble with the soft part

Post by ManDay »

AS USUAL

with logitech ware the hardware is one fine piece of a deal but the software is one big pain . i hope the support over here isnt as horrible as in the logitech forums (messages there are usually pending for several months before someone bothers to reply)

1.) wanna get rid of the tray icon - how, without breaking the support for the device?

2.) wanna configure it. and i mean REALLY configure it. not just ajust settings. The interface seems a pile of ... Beside that it coerces me to setup a shortkey in Photoshop i hardly find any settings like reassingining axes to different meanings

3.) possible to use it as general input device for the windows api? just like a joystick or a pen? this propritary bs is really not acceptable.

thanks.

ps: navigator pe
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi ManDay,

Thank you for your contribution.

- It is not possible to hide the driver icon.

- Although unsupported (you're on your own), it is possible to use configuration files (scg) to change how the driver behaves with any given application. This topic has discussed in the Forum before. A search for "configuration" or "scg" should bring some interesting topics.

- 3D mice from 3Dconnexion are standard "HID multi-axis controllers". This is a well defined standard (the spec is freely available from the USB Forum) and the Windows API supports it directly (refer to the "Raw Input" documentation in MSDN). You can also use 3D mice using Direct Input (part of DirectX). Yet another alternative is to access the USB directly (HID manager). The interfaces provided by 3Dconnexion are for the ease and the convenience of developers.

We regret that the software we develop and maintain is not ideal. Perhaps you can provide some suggestions? That's always appreciated by 3Dconnexion developers (they're very active in the Forum although usually shy away from rude posts).
Nuno Gomes
ManDay

Post by ManDay »

Hi,

so - I must be getting something wrong because I find no way of using this device in applications other than the ones supported by the proprietary package.

So, how can I use this device as - let's say - a joystick? Or as my mouse?
Smiler

Post by Smiler »

Work your way through this little lot
viewtopic.php?t=336

Don't bother asking 3Dx for any help regarding getting your device working as a joystick etc. I think we have all come to realise that it will never happen officially.

Jeff.
Regards, Jeff.