Maya 2008 / 8.5 animated camera BIG problem

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

anduvo

Maya 2008 / 8.5 animated camera BIG problem

Post by anduvo »

Hi everyone,

I found the SpaceNavigator a fantastic product. I have found a very annoying bug when you animate a camera: After you are done placing the keys of your camera movement, if you move the camera with the SpaceNavigator, it somehow offsets the movement permanently and there's no way back. The undo wont work, but what is even stranger is that the curves in the graph editor remains the same.

Here is another minor bug:
I have mapped the spacebar to the right button. Open a fresh scene, then press the right button once or twice to get one of the panels to enlarge to full workspace. Then if you change the context menu to "animation", "dynamics", "surfaces" or any of them, the hotbar will popup and stuck there until you press the right button again.

Hope you have a solution for this bugs,
thank you.

my system:
Windows XP pro 64 bit
maya 2008 and 8.5 64 bit with bonustools

SpaceNavigator drivers:
released version 3.6.7
Driver version 6.6.1
Firmware Version 3.18
anduvo

bugs still there

Post by anduvo »

Hi,

I have downloaded the new 3.6.8 drivers and I was disappointed to find out that this bugs are still there.

did you were able to reproduce this bugs?
are you planing to correct them soon?
rstadie

Re: Maya 2008 / 8.5 animated camera BIG problem

Post by rstadie »

anduvo wrote: Here is another minor bug:
I have mapped the spacebar to the right button. Open a fresh scene, then press the right button once or twice to get one of the panels to enlarge to full workspace. Then if you change the context menu to "animation", "dynamics", "surfaces" or any of them, the hotbar will popup and stuck there until you press the right button again.
Hi,

I am currently reproducing your issues. Could it be that it depends on where your mouse-pointer is when you press button 2? Does the Space Key on your keyboard behave different?
Robert Stadie
anduvo

Post by anduvo »

hi rstadie,

It doesn't matter where I put the mouse, even if the mouse is out of the maya window, it will happend.

When the hotbox pop up and blocks, I can't unblock it with the spacebar, I have to press the right button to make it disappear.

The spacebar behaves normally.
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

I've noticed similar issues in Maya, as I think the space Pilot tries to anticipate your need of hotkeys based on the maya "Module" you're in.

Another Issue for me as a Rigger is I Typically Need to be able to get Isometric viewpoints on a model and be able to see if something is aligned properly. The Viewport Keys T L R F & 3DLock, are not Isometric, and the commands mapped to those keys are I believe coded inside the .mll file. Any idea if we can get an option in the 3D Connextion key mapper to make them isometric, and then still be able to pan on a 2D Plane ? As this also does not work within maya when in an isometric viewpot, the controller becomes unfunctional.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

DCrosby,

How do you change into "isometric view" in Maya and what happens when you press the "T"-button on your device in this view? Does it behave different than clicking on "Top"?
Robert Stadie
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

As all things in maya there are 10+ ways of doing anything...
One is to use the 4 View, and you can see the isometric views and a perspective. You can also hold down space, right click, and drag to the isometric view of your choice, notice that the grid sits below the object or appears to do so, and that the SpacePilot no longer controls the view.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Which options are enabled inside of your 3Dconnexion Maya Control Panel? Is 3DView Lock enabled?
Robert Stadie
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

Ok, That (3D Lock) fixes the ability to pan around, and once in a perspective window you can switch between top left right front etc... but there's no way to switch between perspective and isometric.
mranger

Post by mranger »

I also have the problem of the controller affecting a camera that is already keyed in Maya. Even if all of the channels are keyed or locked, it still messes it up, without changes the keyframes, and the only solution to fix the camera is to go to a previous scene and get an old cam, which isn't available sometimes.
mranger

Post by mranger »

Ok, I seem to have gotten lucky and found a fix. If I go to the channels of the camera, select the translate and rotate channels, and right click and click on copy, when i move the already keyed camera with the navigater it goes back to it's original position reflecting the keys correctly when the frame is changed, just like any keyed object that has it's values changed would. Hopefully this can be implemented in a future driver update, to avoid the extra steps and to avoid someone forgetting to do this, which will of course happen. I've not extensively tested this fix, so it may not work in certain situations, but I did test it with a regular cam and a cam with aim.
mranger

Post by mranger »

P.S.

This has to be done every time the scene is opened, which is extremely annoying.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

I am unable to reproduce this. If I disable the "Auto Keyframe toggle" there is no change to my camera - perhaps I missed something? Under which conditions does this occur?
Robert Stadie
DCrosby

Post by DCrosby »

rstadie wrote:I am unable to reproduce this. If I disable the "Auto Keyframe toggle" there is no change to my camera - perhaps I missed something? Under which conditions does this occur?
The danger of stepping on your keys should only really exist when you have the AutoKey Button in Maya "Armed" is there maybe a way for 3DConnextion to overload (Step on) the autokey function, so that it only keys cameras if a special box in the 3DConnextion control box is activated ?
mranger

Post by mranger »

No, autokey is definitely not on. It doesn't do this if I move the camera with the mouse while in the camera viewport. Anyone else having this problem? I'm on Maya 2008 by the way, on Windows XP SP3. Thanks