solid edge problems

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

cacciatorino

solid edge problems

Post by cacciatorino »

Solid Edge V18 SP11, WindowsXP-HE-SP3, 3DConnexion v3.6.7, Device SpaceNavigator. GeForce 7900 video card.

Two main problems:

1) When in sketch, the refresh does not work properly, lines are not visible or are visible lines where I passed with the pointer but without drafting them. The system worked perfectly before installing 3dconnexion sw.

2) Rotating the model in 3d is a trouble. The rotation center is always the point 0,0,0, even if the geometry of the model is far from the origin.
With the rotating function built-in in solid edge (central button of the mouse), the problem doesn't exist, the cad is able to understand the desired centre of rotation without the need to indicate picking in some place.

Regards.
cacciatorino

Post by cacciatorino »

The N.1 problem (no refresh when in sketch mode) was solved reinstalling graphic board driver.

The n.2 problem (wrong rotation center) is still here.

Regards, Alessandro.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi cacciatorino,
The n.2 problem (wrong rotation center) is still here.
You can reassign the rotation point by using the "Sets Rotation Center" available from the "3Dcontrol" toolbar. The use of this command is explained in the on-line help document (press the "?" icon on the same toolbar).
Nuno Gomes
cacciatorino

Post by cacciatorino »

ngomes wrote:You can reassign the rotation point by using the "Sets Rotation Center" available from the "3Dcontrol" toolbar. The use of this command is explained in the on-line help document (press the "?" icon on the same toolbar).

Hi ngomes
I understand, but:

1) Solid Edge (V18 SP11) crashes every time I try to select a geometry as rotation point.

2) Reading your explication, it seems to me that I need to manually redefine the rotation point every time I want to change it. The difference is that the built-in function in solid edge does not need interaction by the user to modify that point, probably it rotates the model always around the center of the current view, even if it not correspond with the 0,0,0 point. In my opnion, the behaviour of the solid edge function is much more confortable than the spacepilot one.

thank you for your attention. Have a good work!

Alessandro.
cacciatorino

Post by cacciatorino »

cacciatorino wrote: than the spacepilot one.
SpaceNavigator of course
cacciatorino

Post by cacciatorino »

I found, under:
application-->3d control-->properties-->Options:
the function:
"auto rotation center" but it is not possible to enable it (the button is gray).

Thank you.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi cacciatorino,
auto rotation center" but it is not possible to enable it (the button is gray)
If you restart Solid Edge, is the option is grayed out?

Note that some types of Solid Edge licenses will disable parts of the API. One such license is "Design&Drafting".
cacciatorino

Post by cacciatorino »

ngomes wrote: Note that some types of Solid Edge licenses will disable parts of the API. One such license is "Design&Drafting".
Actually my license is a D&D one.
An other problem is that SpaceNavigator forget all settings every time I restart Solid Edge (custom function on right button and toolbar that I want to remove from Solid Edge interface but reappear at the next start).
I assume the these other problems are related with my license too.

I will look for in the windows register to see if it is possible ti change something manually.

Thank you to be so patient!

Regards, Alessandro.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cacciatorino wrote:An other problem is that SpaceNavigator forget all settings every time I restart Solid Edge
You should try to use the "Button Mapping" panel in Solid Edge. You have access to a large range of application commands in a an easy, drag-and-drop interface. The panel can be access from the "3Dcontrol" toolbar. Note that the button configuration depends on the type of document that is loaded (assembly, part, draft, etc).
cacciatorino

Post by cacciatorino »

ngomes wrote:You should try to use the "Button Mapping" panel in Solid Edge. You have access to a large range of application commands in a an easy, drag-and-drop interface. The panel can be access from the "3Dcontrol" toolbar. Note that the button configuration depends on the type of document that is loaded (assembly, part, draft, etc).
I already tried it, but without success.... The configuration seems to be saved: (Solid Edge - Current user) and next time I start solid edge, the configuration profile already exists, but it seems it is not loaded, I need to redefine function on the right button manually.
My current user is a normal user, but I had the same problem working as administrator.
Regarding the toolbar, my first impression was wrong: the system remember the toolbar that I want to see or not, I simply used the wrong procedure to switch them off.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

The configuration seems to be saved: (Solid Edge - Current user)
You may have old configurations that are conflicting with your current 3Dconnexion software.

Close Solid Edge (if running), open the 3Dconnexion Control Panel (Start menu, Programs, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion 3DxWare) and delete the saved configuration (Options menu, deleted saved configurations...)

Launch Solid Edge.
cacciatorino

Post by cacciatorino »

I'm a little bit tyred, the biggest problem (wrong rotation center) seems to be impossible to solve.
For the moment, I removed the device from my workstation.
It would be nice if in the website there will be a note regarding the problem that the spacepilot does not work properly with certain versions of solid edge.

Regards, Alessandro.
mclaser

SpacePilot: rotation stuck on base coord

Post by mclaser »

Cacciatorino, I feel your pain! I have the same problem with SE ST and have been unable to resolve it. It's a major PITA. Especially an exercise in futility for a long part where the base planes are at one end and the item of interest is at the other. I've had the Space Pilot & Traveller for years with SE and you've always been able to set the rotation to center of screen (or mouse position, or whatever it is) instead of being locked into some predefined position. This takes a time saving device and immediately converts it into a time wasting device. Very frustrating.

This should have nothing to do with the licensing btw. And yes, this "feature" should certainly be publish so we don't waste time debugging their (3dConn) drivers. I anxiously await a solution.

Greg
mclaser

Post by mclaser »

Just tried Traditional (non-ST) with SE ST and the SET ROTATION POINT is enabled and seems to work fine. When using a "SE with ST" part the button is disabled (ghosted) so there appears to be no way to turn it on. Ideas?
cacciatorino

Post by cacciatorino »

mclaser wrote:Just tried Traditional (non-ST) with SE ST and the SET ROTATION POINT is enabled and seems to work fine. When using a "SE with ST" part the button is disabled (ghosted) so there appears to be no way to turn it on. Ideas?
Dear Mclaser, what do you mean with ST? Syncronous Technology (the last release of solid edge)? It has not yet shipped to non-US customer.
At the moment I'm using V18 and the function to auto-set the rotation center is grayed out.
Excuse me but i don't understand exactly what you mean when you say that using the "traditional-non-ST-way" the system works fine (may be there is a problem with my not so fluent english, sorry!).

Alessandro.