can not install in WinXP 64

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

krivel

can not install in WinXP 64

Post by krivel »

I'm having problems installing either the 3.5 or 3.6.7 software for the Space Explorer on WinXP 64. I downloaded the latest...v3.6.7 and then tried the one that came with it...v3.5... Neither works.

They go through the install process, then freeze. I noticed its launching XSIbatch.exe (32bit). If I kill this process..it seems to un-freeze but it keeps poping up in the task manager. If I keep killing it, it finishes but isn't installed properly and is not recognized in XSI.

I'm running 32 and 64 bit versions of XSI v6.5 and v7.0.

Any ideas?
Kris Rivel
Director/Owner
Apparatus
www.apparatusfx.com
krivel

Post by krivel »

Ok, I seem to have it working now..I had to manually install the xsi addon after installation. The auto-installer could not install it correctly. Maybe due to the multiple versions on my system?
Kris Rivel
Director/Owner
Apparatus
www.apparatusfx.com
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi krivel,
Maybe due to the multiple versions on my system?
This is a possibility. We will look into this and report back here.
Nuno Gomes
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi krivel,

We had look at the scenario that you reported and, in our set-up, the installation of the add-in works as expected. We used Windows x64 and a mixed install of 32- and 64-bit XSI.

We also believe we understand what is happening on your system.

To install an XSI plug-in, the installer must call the program XSIbatch.exe. This is an application requirement. XSIbatch is shipped with XSI.

XSIbatch requires access to the network. On Windows XP and later, the operating system may suspend the execution of the program and ask the user if network access is allowed. This is a security feature of Windows. This feature is also standard on third-party firewall software.

We think the OS notice may have gone unnoticed you that XSIbatch is set not to have network access.

Have a look on your firewall software (Windows or third-party) and see if XSIbatch is allowed to access the network.