SpaceNavigator as arrows keys/mouse pointer

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jtuttle

SpaceNavigator as arrows keys/mouse pointer

Post by jtuttle »

Hey--
If anyone's curious (and knows Visual Basic), it's pretty easy to modify the VB sample program 3Dconnexion has on the SDK site to send arrow keys and/or move the mouse pointer.

Quite nice being able to scroll in Firefox with my SpaceNavigator :-)

If anyone wants more info, just ask.

-- J.P.
jtuttle

Post by jtuttle »

You guys (3Dconnexion) are *seriously* missing out on an awesome potential use. 3D use is great, but if I have a SpaceNavigator on my desk -- especially using a laptop without a scroll wheel -- being able to use it for 2D scrolling (and zooming -- I've rigged up pushing down to send Ctrl-plus and pulling up to send Ctrl-minus) is *extremely* useful.

Not to mention addictive.

Can you guys *please* add some form of official generic driver stuff -- anything: having it act as a true joystick without the driver running, 2D panning/zooming in all apps -- something!

I imagine there are tons of people who would buy one, but, well, it only works with a few apps they have, so it probably isn't worth it for them. If it could scroll/pan in *all* their apps, I imagine they might want one.

Just some thoughts.

-- J.P.
LachsLachs

Re: SpaceNavigator as arrows keys/mouse pointer

Post by LachsLachs »

Hi could you give me your Custom Key Application? I am a programmer myself and search for a good way to control windows basic programs like firefox, vlc player and othetr stuff with preferred input on the spacenavigator. I have no company to state in the registration for being able to use the sdk.

Maybe you can hlp me with my problem. Best regards.
Alwin
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Alwin,

this is a rather old thread. ;) You only need our latest driver. It provides the possibility to scroll and zoom in many applications and there are already profiles for standard applications like Firefox and Microsoft Office applications.
Orion03

Post by Orion03 »

how do I change the behavior of the space navigator?

E.g at this moment when I use chrome and google maps, front and back on the space nav gives me zoom

I'll rather it gave me pan

Also all other axis doesn't work.

Looking at the properties of the space navigator I don't have any options to map the axis to what I want.
vries

Post by vries »

bought the spacemouse wireless in the understanding the software was able to assign functions( macros / keystrokes) to the pan, scrol, tilt, zoom etc.
I would like to use it as a multimedia controller that works also without first going to the volume control or media player.
It should overrule everything else and do only multimedia.
tried everything but seems not possible.
Because of Logitech Setpoint software supports this basic feature , why is 3d Connexion not supporting this ?
mynamehere

Post by mynamehere »

I agree that the Logitech driver team should be given a go at 3Dconnexions devices.

There are so many missed opportunities here. The tunnel vision of looking at these devices as 3D only is holding back so much potential (and potential sales).

I wish I had the programming skills needed to turn my SMP into a desktop trackball/mouse replacement, let alone a game controller (I'd buy a 2nd one and play double fisted). I had high hopes for 3DxWare when they touted it as being programmable for use in "other" programs from within the driver GUI, but was let down in a big way. I see the possibility for use by people with hand issues like myself who have trouble with mice and are less than impressed with the trackball market; but it has to be user friendly, which it's definitely not.