Spacemouse enterprise newbie

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

TecnoMA

Spacemouse enterprise newbie

Post by TecnoMA »

Hi to all,
i've tried to search in the forum but i haven't found the answer to my simple question...how can i configure a spacemouse enterprise button for launching a program? Another question is how can i configure a macro o a shortcut like win+d or win+m (show desktop or minimize to tray) without executing the command? (if i try to record a macro with win+m it minimizes to tray... :roll: ).
I've found in cfg folder the xml files with the settings but if i set to n° 1 button the shortcut ALT+F4 i just find in the ID ALT+F4 description but i can't find the real command ALT button + F4 button for manually edit..i know that's something that i can't clearly understand but i need some help...
Mauro
Phil999

Re: Spacemouse enterprise newbie

Post by Phil999 »

to my knowledge the alt+F4 command is not possible with 3dx devices. The same with win-key combinations. Some programs can be closed with the ctrl+q command.

To directly launch a program isn't possible either (again, as far as I know). But you can try to assign an exotic key command to a shortcut, like ctrl+F12, and create a macro with ctrl+F12. This should work, although with some disadvantages: you'll have to set this macro in every single profile, or, if you set it in only one profile (desktop), you first have to click on the desktop before launching the program. Maybe there is a better workaround using the global cfg, but I think it is not worth the effort. Better use the Start Menu and mouse.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

You can set a button to open a program, but you need to edit the .xml to do it, it's not supported by the gui.

E.g. if you look at some of the provided configs, in the desktop.xml...
<ButtonAction Type="Exe">
<ID>EXE_Start_calc</ID>
<Name>Calculator</Name>
<Executable>calc.EXE</Executable>
<Arg>None</Arg>
<Image>
<Source>[driver_images:calc.png]</Source>
</Image>
</ButtonAction>

to create the actual button action which references the .exe and then...

<Button>
<Input>
<ActionID>V3DK_9</ActionID>
</Input>
<Output>
<ActionID>EXE_Start_calc</ActionID>
</Output>
</Button>

which allocates it to one of the shortcut keys.

With regards to a macro that you want to be available across your other custom configs, you can copy it over to your own global.xml config which is inherited by the others.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

thanks.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
TecnoMA

Post by TecnoMA »

Thank you,
i understand your explanation but i cannot find in the xml the first part when i have to create the button...and where i have to imput the path of the exe ( C:\Programs\....)?
E.g. if you look at some of the provided configs, in the desktop.xml...
<ButtonAction Type="Exe">
<ID>EXE_Start_calc</ID>
<Name>Calculator</Name>
<Executable>calc.EXE</Executable>
<Arg>None</Arg>
<Image>
<Source>[driver_images:calc.png]</Source>
</Image>
</ButtonAction>
I'm trying to solve this problem using Autohotkey sw creating scripts and then combining this scripts with sortcuts link CTRL+XX to add it in the cfg file....

Thanks again for the patience...
jwick

Post by jwick »

TecnoMA wrote: i understand your explanation but i cannot find in the xml the first part when i have to create the button...and where i have to imput the path of the exe ( C:\Programs\....)?
You have to add it. You have to add a ButtonAction that describes what to do when the button is pressed. Then you assign that ButtonAction to a button. You can do the latter in the GUI but you have to do the former in the XML. Sorry.

Copy an existing ButtonAction, like this calc ButtonAction into the cfg file for your app/game. Then change the details. Change Calc.exe to the full path to your exe if needed (Calc.exe is in your PATH). Beware of special characters in the exename. They will have to be escaped for proper XML.