3DXWare drivers issue with unity 3d and Htc Vive Vr headset

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Gt0n3

3DXWare drivers issue with unity 3d and Htc Vive Vr headset

Post by Gt0n3 »

Hi ,i own a 3d space mouse enterprise kit that i love and i would like to use in every software, but there's a big issue using it in the same computer with the Unity 3d engine and the HTC vive headset, the controllers of the vive have a touchpad on it, and when i use those in unity 3d ( i'm a unity developer ) they're overridden by the 3dxware drivers, and returns always the same axis values independently where they're touched, the tuochpads return a Vector2 value, and with the 3dxware drivers active and running they return always (-1,-1) ,when disabled the issue is gone, and they work as expected and return always the right value.
Now i've a big problem with this issue, because i can't use nor the 3D mouse nor the cadmouse in my workstation and i don't want to swap every time mouses for work, neither activate and deactivate the drivers, even because using this procedure the space mouse will not work until i unplug and plug in again the usb cable.
Can someone tell me if there's a solution to this, or the incompatibility of the 3dXware drivers with unity is a thing that can't be resolved anytime soon?
Thanks.
jwick

Re: 3DXWare drivers issue with unity 3d and Htc Vive Vr head

Post by jwick »

We don't override other devices. But we do install a Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick emulator. This adds three new devices (extra kb, mouse and joystick). We have found it quite common that application software finds these devices and misinterpret them as devices they are expecting. It may not help that it starts with "3" - they might find it before they find their own device.

Try disabling our emulator (3Dx KMJ Emulator). You first may have to disable the emulated devices. You will find these under Keyboards, and Mice and other pointing devices, in the Device Manager.
Your kb keys on the 3D device won't work once you do this (if you disable the kb).

You might try just disabling the joystick first. I bet that is the problem. It looks like a gamepad to a lot of applications.

There is also the possibility that they are misinterpreting the 3D mouse as a gamepad. That would be exceptionally bad code on their part.
dgrass

Re: 3DXWare drivers issue with unity 3d and Htc Vive Vr headset

Post by dgrass »

We are facing the same Problem. Applications we develop on the base of Unity dont work for our clients because 3Dx KMJ Emulator is registered as a Gamecontroller under Windows. And this is wrong. 3Dx KMJ Emulator is delivering continous input like said above.

3Dx KMJ Emulator should not be registered as a Gamecontroller. Please fix this. Keyboards and other external devices are also not recognized from Windows as Gamecontrollers. I know 3Dx KMJ Emulator is an Emulator is something like an interface from hardware to software. But please do something about it so that it will not be registered as an Gamecontroller under Windows and because of this from all other applications.
It is not the fault of other applications.

And it can not be the solution to disable drivers temporarily.

With best Regards from me.