SpaceNavigator not working with SolidWorks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Nick

SpaceNavigator not working with SolidWorks

Post by Nick »

Hi,

I've just bought the SpaceNavigator, but cannot get it to work with SolidWorks. I'm using the Student Design Kit if that makes any difference.

It works perfectly in Google Earth, and even in Word (after installing the 3DxOffice AddIN), but nothing at all happens in SolidWorks. (Well there is some very jerky and unpredicatable zoom/pan, but I've used the SpaceBall before and know this is not how it is supposed to work).

Is there supposed to be a SolidWorks Add-In? I search the SolidWorks site, this site and Google to no avail.

TIA

Nick
Nick Hales
Automotive Engineer
Oxford Brookes University
http://www.brookesracing.co.uk
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi Nick:

Unfortunately, our devices do not work within the Student Design Kit of SolidWorks. They do work with the SolidWorks Student Edition software.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thank you for the prompt response. However, that is very disappointing news indeed, since that was the reason I bought the device! There is no indication on the site that it only works with specific versions of SolidWorks... (and anyway, I thought the SDK was the Student Edition!)

Any idea if/when the Student Design Kit version might be supported? Or any hacks to make it work?
Nick Hales
Automotive Engineer
Oxford Brookes University
http://www.brookesracing.co.uk
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

It is possible that we may have an implementation of the SolidWorks plug-in that will be compatible with the SolidWorks SDK. Unfortunately, I can't commit to you a timeframe today.

Either check back with us later in the quarter, or you may contact info@3dconnexion if you are unhappy with the purchase.

I again hope we can bring you better news shortly.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.