Problems creating buttons for my own applications

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

edgley

Problems creating buttons for my own applications

Post by edgley »

I am tring to use my pilot in lightroom; I am on a x64 system.

I have created the buttons but when in the app the links dont work. I am sure that I am doing something simlpe wrong, and have looked on the forum but can not see what.

I have found the post which contains the mods for switch profiles when apps start, but I am going to try this after I have it working.

Thanks,
Simon.

ps.
Another user that cannot believe you can just use this device with other apps. I have had a ****** for ages and that works okay for all.
Bryan

Creating Buttons

Post by Bryan »

Dear edgley,
What is the full name of your application, including manufacturer and version number.

Is your 64 bit system, Windows XP or Vista?

Does your application use our devices? For example, are you able to rotated three dimensional models?

Could you supply a bit more detailed information of what you mean when you say you have 'created ... buttons'
Are you referring to having made key-stroke macros.

Have you been successful at using your SpacePilot in other applications and successful assigning commands and/or keyboard macros to buttons in those applications?

Sincerely,
Bryan
edgley

Post by edgley »

sorry for the lack of info.

The programme is Adobe Lightroom, currently at version 1.31, with the v2 beta just released. Currently it doesnt allow rotation etc. I was hoping to be able to assign key presses to the 6 buttons.

I am using XP64 and my pilot does work in approved apps such as AC and PS and has allowed me to change the buttons in them.

thanks,
s.
jwick

Post by jwick »

There is no way to add a new configuration for an "unsupported application" via the 3DxWare GUI. You have to edit a config file with notepad. An unsupported application is defined as an application you just want to blindly throw keyboard events at.

If you are game, here are the steps:

1) Stop the 3DxWare driver.
2) Make a copy of any.scg, called, say Lightroom.scg. Any.scg is under a language-specific directory under the 3DxWare directory. Make the copy there.
3) Edit Lightroom.scg with notepad.
4) Change the APPLICATION_NAME value to "Lightroom"
5) Change the EXECUTABLES value to whatever the executable name is, probably "lightroom.exe".
6) Change the TRANSPORT_PROTOCOL value to WIN32_KEYBOARD.
7) Save the config file.
8) Since you've probably already tried to use the application with the driver, you probably already have an erroneous entry in the registry. Delete the HKCU/software/3dconnexion/3dxware/Applications/LIGHTROOM.EXE value that probably points to something like any.scg.
9) Restart the 3DxWare driver.
10) Start Lightroom. The driver should choose your new Lightroom config.
11) You can now make keyboard macros and assign them to buttons in the Lightroom configuration with the 3DxWare GUI.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
edgley

Post by edgley »

Followed instructions.
Now have an entry in the reg pointing to the correct .exe

When Lightroom starts up, the pilot changes to show Lightroom. However by the time that it has fully loaded the pilot is back to its general any app screen.

Thanks.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Using the 3DxWare GUI, can you change to the lightroom config while lightroom is running? What does the registry now say?
edgley

Post by edgley »

No need, it was already on Lightroom.
It looks like the key press are okay too, just the name at the top is wrong.
I have even setup new macros and they work fine.
edgley

Post by edgley »

I reloaded LR and it wasnt showing my new buttons.
So I looked in the reg and next to lightroom.exe it has lost the correct .scg and reverted to a user0X one.
jwick

Post by jwick »

If you changed anything in a config from the default dir, it creates a copy called userXX.scg in your %APPDATA% dir. That file should contain everything from lightroom.scg plus all your changes. It appends your username to the name of the configuration.
edgley

Post by edgley »

I am confused.
When I open up the control panel now, there are only the two default any app options.

So do I need to make a new scg file?
Why did the last one stop working and disappear?

Thanks
edgley

Post by edgley »

Whow, I just clicked back, and now it seems to be working.
I have the app name at the top and the short cuts on the keys.

and if I now go back into the config panel I have two lightroom lines.
jwick

Post by jwick »

When Lightroom is in focus you will probably have 3 configs listed in the Configuration combobox: Any Application, Lightroom and Lightroom - yourusername. The driver should remember which one you last used (in the registry) and use that one.
yaumeguy

Post by yaumeguy »

jwick wrote:There is no way to add a new configuration for an "unsupported application" via the 3DxWare GUI. You have to edit a config file with notepad. An unsupported application is defined as an application you just want to blindly throw keyboard events at.
Hello,

I want to use the spacenavigator in order to take control of a HTPC mediacenter ; is it possible to configure key commands for any applications ?

And is it possible to assign specifics key commands for each application ? With differents key commands mapping for each application, based on the fact that the application is in first plan or not.

For instance, if application A is at forefront, pushing down the spacenavigator will send "Enter", and if application B is at forefront it will send "Space".

Thank you.
Rickymon

Post by Rickymon »

I simply don't understand how come 3DX guyz didn't come out with a solution for simple Spacepilot-to-keyboard translator already built-in the driver.

I mean 3Dmax is not the only software in the world and all of us have lots of features or other programs, such as video editors, audio editors, media players, multiple screens, basic windows funtcions (like alt+tab), and WASD GAMES of course... I also work with Cakewalk SONAR and I would love to jog my wheel here and see my tracks scrolling left and right.

Would I need to buy another dedicated jog wheel for that?

I have a MS reclusa keyboard and the driver is far way better...
jwick

Post by jwick »

We have released 3DxWare 10 open beta.

This release includes keyboard, mouse and joystick emulation.

Please try it out and let us know what you think. There is a new 3DxWare 10 Beta Forum for discussion.

I'm locking this thread so users who get informed about changes to the thread won't miss this announcement. Feel free to start a new thread to continue this discussion, if you wish.