Steinberg Cubase

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

suncream

Steinberg Cubase

Post by suncream »

Hello dear forum,

I've been looking for a simple scroll and zoom device for Cubase for a long time.

I have connected the spacenavigator - get it but simply not according to my ideas to run.

Only the scroll up / down (= mouse wheel does the same).

My goal is simple:

Press High = scroll high
Press Down = scroll down
Press right = scroll right
Press left = scroll left
Rotate / raise / lower button (whatever) = zoom in / out

In the settings I can tap and select what I want, Cubase does not swallow it. Test program with 3D animation works perfectly.

Someone of you already experiences with it?

Too heavy should not be ... or I'm simply too stupid for it ...

Thanks & LG!
(Double Post in English & German Forum - hope this is fine... :) )
Andrew Composer

Re: Steinberg Cubase

Post by Andrew Composer »

Hi Sunscream,

I recently bought a Space Navigator Wireless for use with Cubase 8.5 (March 2017). It took lots of tweaking, but I now have it working quite well for pan, zoom and scroll. Also I was able to assign the 2 side buttons to start/stop and snap to grid toggle.

I'm on MAC OSX Sierra latest version, so I'm not sure of how this would work in windows.

Make sure you have Cubase selected in the "Configure" drop down box before beginning.

Zooming:
I assigned the "Spin Clockwise and Spin Counter Clockwise" functions to Keystrokes "g" and "h" (which are the default zoom in zoom out in Cubase). They both had to be set to "Press and Hold" with the "Threshold Slider" set to the 4th tick mark. Additionally, I had to adjust the keyboard "Key Repeat" and "Delay Until Repeat" speeds under "System Preferences"--->"Keyboard"--->"Keyboard" Tab. I set them to "Fast" and "Short" respectively. This smoothed out the zooming and I personally prefer using the space navigator over the keyboard(even though it's simply triggering keystrokes).

Panning
I assigned 3D Mouse Left and Right to
Mapping: 2D Mouse
Mouse Action: Scroll Right/Scroll Right
Mode: 20 Times/sec
If they are set to "Press and Hold" it will work smoothly but it will only pan at warp speed haha. I set the "Threshold Slider" to the 3rd tick mark on these two.

Scroll Up/Down
I assigned 3D Mouse Backward and Forward to
Mapping: 2D Mouse
Mouse Action: Scroll Up/Scroll Down
Mode: 30 Times/sec
Threshold Slider: 3rd tick mark

I edited for about 5 hours last night and didn't have any issues or jumping. Navigation was so much better and faster with this thing and my right hand got a lot more break time.

Side Buttons
These are tricky! I called tech support today after trying everything for about 2 hours last night. The guy said I had to open the 3d Connexion software, then open Cubase and then assign the side buttons in the 3d Connexion software. Yesterday they no worky, today after I followed his instructions they worky. I'm not sure if it has to be done each time you restart your computer only that if you follow what tech support instructed that I got it to work. If you are sending straight key commands:

Mapping: Type Keystroke
Keystroke: enter your key command
Mode: Press and Hold

If anyone knows a better way to setup the space navigator with Cubase please let me know.
Thanks hope this helps
Andrew Composer

Correction

Side Buttons:
I tried yesterday and today several times and despite following the sequence of opening programs I couldn't assign the side buttons. I already use Osculator which supports the space navigator, so I have opted to map the side buttons in Osculator and target Cubase. Works very well.
scx

Post by scx »

Hi Andrew Composer,

I try to do the same. Could you please tell me on wich part of the software you did the keystrokemapping? I cannot find any point to type in and tune keystrokes.
Ericlobster

Post by Ericlobster »

scx wrote:Hi Andrew Composer,

I try to do the same. Could you please tell me on wich part of the software you did the keystrokemapping? I cannot find any point to type in and tune keystrokes.
Guys I'm having the same issue. If we're all going through the same thing then it must be something deeper. I wonder if it's related to what version our OS is at.
Andrew Composer

Hi guys,

just now seeing the response. If it still helps. On MAC OSX it's under system preferences. Look for a 3d Connexion icon(mine is in the bottom row). That will show an image of the 3d mouse with a battery meter. From there click the tabs to setup keystrokes etc.

Unfortunately, I have found that when my computer is slow with larger projects it lags and then seems to execute more commands than you want i:e scrolling all the way right or left. Which basically renders it useless. Also sometimes it triggers more keystrokes from a different movement and things go sideways.

I desperately wish there was a control knob type device that could properly interface with a DAW without having to mimic keystrokes. I'm going to test it more, but my backup idea is selling it and getting a 1st gen apple track pad ~$40. Since that works natively with MAC OSX. I really enjoy having a way to navigate projects with my left hand.