What new models support my needs?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mtrunz

What new models support my needs?

Post by mtrunz »

Like many, I'm pissed off at how horrible legacy customers are treated in regard to software, drivers and add-ins. I don't want to hear the company line from the mods telling me that those devices are no lobger supported. It's well documented that the legacy drivers, software and add-ins exist and work with the legacy devices but you made them unavailable to force us into buying new devices so don't even go there. I have 3 legacy devices that are fully operational but my new PC has no serial ports so I must begrudgingly explore other options.
I'm running XP Pro SP2 32bit for now but could upgrade to 64 down the road. The CAD programs I run include Solid Works 2005, Auto Cad 2000, UG V19 and Inventor R4. I need to know what products can run these and future versions with a USB interface device. Most importantly, regarding whatever devices 3D has that fit my needs: are the drivers, software and add-ins for these CAD programs I've mentioned available now and into the near future?
Lastly, if anyone knows of similar devices by other manufacturers please PM me rather than post that info here. I don't want to be accused of inappropriate posting by asking anyone to list other manufacturer's devices in this forum. Thanks.
mtrunz

New model user reviews

Post by mtrunz »

Apparently, my original post angered one of the 3D C Mods enough that he PM'd me to express his feelings. If anyone was offended by the facts as I expressed them, I apologize.
With that out of the way, I'd like to ask if anyone out there has used any one of the current 3D C devices with SolidWorks, UG, Inventor or AutoCad? I'd like to know what your thoughts are in regard to how they compare to the spaceball series. The current devices I'm interested in are the space navigator (personal or standard), space traveler, space explorer and space pilot. I'm also interested in how any one of these devices may compare to each other. Having been a huge fan of the spaceball 4000/5000 devices, I'm concerned that the navigator and traveler devices may be hard to handle due to the lack of a wrist rest. Any thoughts at all are welcome and appreciated. It would be nice to hear from someone from 3D C in regard to which, if any of these devices support SolidWorks 2005, AutoCAD 2000, UG 19 (and up) and Inventor R4.
lynnagency

Post by lynnagency »

How come your laptop doesn't have serial ports?
mtrunz

Post by mtrunz »

lynnagency wrote:How come your laptop doesn't have serial ports?
:wink: Why would you assume I'm using a laptop? I use my PC (desktop) for CAD work. I do have a laptop but it has the same female serial port as the spaceball. I suppose I could get a male to female adapter and use the laptop but I haven't had much luck with adapters and hate to waste the money for another one that doesn't work. Has anyone done this successfully? If so, this might at least be an option but so is a PCI serail port card which also "should" work. In the end, the issue is still software support which is why I'm considering new/current devices as they should be supported a bit longer than the 5000.
lynnagency

Post by lynnagency »

mtrunz,

I'm sorry, I guess I slipped up there, I meant your new PC.
mtrunz

Post by mtrunz »

lynnagency wrote:mtrunz,

I'm sorry, I guess I slipped up there, I meant your new PC.
:roll: So you're just curious about whether I'm using a laptop or PC? No thoughts on new 3D C devices?
lynnagency

Post by lynnagency »

No I just wondering why you got a machine with no serial ports if you were planning on making use of three serial devices.
mtrunz

Post by mtrunz »

lynnagency wrote:No I just wondering why you got a machine with no serial ports if you were planning on making use of three serial devices.
I really didn't initiate this post to talk about my PC but you seem like a pleasant person and I don't want to be rude so I'll clarify for you. I only need one device and expected a serial to USB adapter would work but it doesn't. I could add a PCIe serial card to the motherboard because it too should work but it could also be a waste of time and money. Even if it did work, it would be a band aid since SD C no longer supports serial devices. I wasn't aware of that when I built the PC. I don't know if you've ever built a PC but most would agree you don't build around a single peripheral device. The latest technology drives the componentry if you desire longevity. Do you use a 3D C device? Which one?
lynnagency

Post by lynnagency »

If you understand that
The latest technology drives the componentry
why would you be so surprised that legacy technology is not supported. Microsoft doesn't support Windows 95.
mtrunz

Off topic replies

Post by mtrunz »

lynnagency wrote:If you understand that
The latest technology drives the componentry
why would you be so surprised that legacy technology is not supported. Microsoft doesn't support Windows 95.
lynnagency, Are you really going to try to compare Windows operating system software to a piece of peripheral hardware? I'm not wasting any more time on such nonsence after this reply but I will humor you one last time. I'll compare apples to apples by bringing to your attention that HP still supports printers and scanners (peripheral hardware devices) that were in use with Windows 95. You can even get Vista drivers for them. Amazing isn't it?
Now, I've tried to be respectful and polite until now but do you really think I didn't know you've been busting my chops since your first post? I started this thread to get feedback on other user's experience with the latest 3D C devices. You have posted several times and not once have you offered anything constructive. I don't appreciate that you have hijacked this thread (albeit politely) by severely altering its direction. Clearly you have no experience with these devices so going forward, please keep your replies to the original topic or consider starting your own new thread where you can set the topic of conversation in any direction you like. I certainly can't stop you from posting further but this is my last reply to you unless you have something to add that is constructive and on topic. Thank you.
dale

Re: What new models support my needs?

Post by dale »

mtrunz wrote:Like many, I'm pissed off at how horrible legacy customers are treated in regard to software, drivers and add-ins. I don't want to hear the company line from the mods telling me that those devices are no lobger supported. It's well documented that the legacy drivers, software and add-ins exist and work with the legacy devices but you made them unavailable to force us into buying new devices so don't even go there. I have 3 legacy devices that are fully operational but my new PC has no serial ports so I must begrudgingly explore other options.
I'm running XP Pro SP2 32bit for now but could upgrade to 64 down the road. The CAD programs I run include Solid Works 2005, Auto Cad 2000, UG V19 and Inventor R4. I need to know what products can run these and future versions with a USB interface device. Most importantly, regarding whatever devices 3D has that fit my needs: are the drivers, software and add-ins for these CAD programs I've mentioned available now and into the near future?
Lastly, if anyone knows of similar devices by other manufacturers please PM me rather than post that info here. I don't want to be accused of inappropriate posting by asking anyone to list other manufacturer's devices in this forum. Thanks.
I feel the exact same way. I bought a Space Navigator to replace my dead Spaceball 4000 , the ergonomics are awful. The buttons seem scattered and are awkward to use.
My solution was to buy Spaceballs on ebay. I lucked out and found some new ones.
The new devices are designed for fluff, not 8 hours a day of function.
My company has 20 UG NX users, I gave each one the Space Navigator to try. Each one hated it and wanted the Spaceball instead. The Space Navigator is in the closet now.
jwick

Post by jwick »

You do have to hold the new shaped cap differently than the old ball.

Given that, you should actually get better response from the new sensor--it is more precise--it makes more use of the information from your hand. The USB devices also sample your hand and transmit the data at a much higher rate, so they should appear to be more responsive to your touch.
Last edited by jwick on Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtrunz

Re: What new models support my needs?

Post by mtrunz »

I feel the exact same way. I bought a Space Navigator to replace my dead Spaceball 4000 , the ergonomics are awful. The buttons seem scattered and are awkward to use.
My solution was to buy Spaceballs on ebay. I lucked out and found some new ones.
The new devices are designed for fluff, not 8 hours a day of function.
My company has 20 UG NX users, I gave each one the Space Navigator to try. Each one hated it and wanted the Spaceball instead. The Space Navigator is in the closet now.
Thanks for taking the time to post that here. I had serious concerns about the navigator models sliding all around like the mod acknowledged in the post after yours. I'm looking for a 5000 USB model but have had no luck. Anybody selling one? I have 3 serial spaceballs to sell if anyone is interested. I'd love to be able to buy the space explorer or space pilot but I can't afford that right now so like you, I'm stuck with ebay or the like to fulfill my needs. I only need mine for personal design work I do at home. I have an employer supplied 5000 model at work.[/quote]
dale

Post by dale »

[quote="jwick"]You do have to hold the new shaped cap differently than the old ball.

Given that, you should actually get better response from the new sensor--it is more precise--it makes more use of the information from your hand. The USB devices also sample your hand and transmit the data at a much higher rate, so they should appear to be more responsive to your touch.
quote]

I used the wrong name, I have the Explorer, not the navigator.
It's the button layout and the puck that I don't like.
On my spaceball 5000 the ball fits my hand, the puck is too small and makes my hand cramp.
The buttons on the 5000 are easier to use without looking, much like typing on a keyboard.
I found some more new 5000s for sale, and I paid more than double what I could get a new Explorer for. I have an $6K PC with a $25K seat of UG (as does a dozen others here), so paying a couple hundred more each for a preferred input device is no problem. I only hope something better than the current 3Dconnexion products comes out before the existing supply of spaceballs is gone.

As for the USB being more sensitive, I found that to mean more erratic and harder to control. Reducing sensitivity did not solve this. The serial spaceball may require a stronger input but is smoother operating. The USB is over sensitive.
I had a USB spaceball5000, didn't like it. I passed it down to use in the shop and went back to my serial 5000.