SpacePilot Keys Windows 10

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

CatSailer1279

SpacePilot Keys Windows 10

Post by CatSailer1279 »

Hi,
I bought a used SpacePilot (this one) and have some problems with all keys. None of them are working in any program. Even the mapped ESC, SHIFT, CTRL and ALT key are doing nothing. I know that the product is disconcontinued, but maybe someone can help me.

My PC is running on WIN 10 Pro 64 Bit and currently this version of 3DxWare:

I also tried older version for the SpacePilot Pro and the version 3.16.3 for the SpacePilot, but same issue with this versions. (I reinstalled the version by follwing the faq)

Does anyone has a similar working system? The LCD and controller head are working fine. Is there maybe a hardware issue?

Thanks for any advice!
Attachments
2.PNG
2.PNG (3.07 KiB) Viewed 12916 times
1.PNG
1.PNG (13.7 KiB) Viewed 12916 times
Tehrasha

Re: SpacePilot Keys Windows 10

Post by Tehrasha »

Not an official solution, but you might want to try the procedure detailed here...
But use the 3.16.3 drivers you have instead of the 2.8.2 in the example.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17022&p=48780#p48780

That should at least get the device recognized, but I doubt you will get the LCD to display anything.
The device was discontinued 7 years ago and official support stopped 4 years ago.

Good luck!
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi CatSailer1279,

3DxWare 10.4.8 recognizes the device correctly. Officially the last available driver for the SpacePilot is 3DxSoftware 3.16.3 which you tried as well. We did not take any steps to stop SpacePilot working in the current release driver, but it is not tested with it.

As you already tried several drivers and the device is shown properly in the device manager I assume that the buttons of your SpacePilot are not working anymore. Hardware issue - sorry.
CatSailer1279

Post by CatSailer1279 »

Thanks for answers!

It realy was a hardware issue. The connection of the ribbon cable in the socket of the keys was too lose and had no contact. I solved the issue with 3 layers of kaptopn tape at the backside of the ribbon cable.

Thanks for your help even on discontinued product.

Christoph
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (169.6 KiB) Viewed 12895 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (212.79 KiB) Viewed 12895 times
nicksoph

Post by nicksoph »

Hi,
I have a similar problem - keys do not work in anything - and wanted to try and open the Spacepilot to see but having taken off the (14) screws on the bottom cant see how to progress to take off the control knob and remove the bottom.

Any advice on the take apart process ?

Best wishes,
nicksoph
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi nicksoph,

my advice is: don't do it. We do not recommend to take apart the device. If the device is broken and still under warranty you should contact our Technical Support Team. They will assist you with the replacement process.
nicksoph

Post by nicksoph »

Hi - thanks for the advice but the space pilot has been out of warranty for years and this is my last try before ditching it, so if there is anybody who would be willing to share info on how to get it apart they might just be helping to reduce landfill.

Thanks again
nick
nicksoph

Post by nicksoph »

Update - I received a working replacement from the company I bought the Pilot from and now have a working and a non working Space pilot which I managed to get apart and having followed a similar repair to above, it still doesn't work. Having searched on the web for a bit it seems the 3D Connection controllers are very reliable even after many years - well done.
Best wishes
nick