64bit SolidWorks 2008 SpaceExplorer Dynamic Highlight Issue

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dmsims21

64bit SolidWorks 2008 SpaceExplorer Dynamic Highlight Issue

Post by dmsims21 »

I am running 64bit SolidWorks 2008 with a Space Explorer. I had the latest driver installed (3DxSoftware 3.5.6). While using SW, the Dynamic Highlight would randomly turn off. I would go to the Options and turn it back on. Then, it would turn off again. A co-worker has the same settup and same issue. He deals with it. I now just run the driver that comes with the CD. I no longer loose the dynamic highlight, but I have another problem. Whenever I log out, log in, and start SW, a window pops up that says the driver isn't running and please start the SpaceExplorer driver. I start it, and a window pops up that says the driver already was running.

What is the deal?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Close the 3D driver down before logging off the pc.
the windows session does not totally disconnect when you use the log off process.
the 3DXsrv.exe process is still running.

If you forget open the task manager and end the process then restart the driver.
dmsims21

Post by dmsims21 »

Thanks, your suggestion fixed the start-up issue.
But what about the dynamic highlight issue? Why does the dynamic highlight turn off with the latest driver (3DxSoftware 3.5.6)?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Not sure what is actually turning off the Dynamic Highlight.
Its part of Solidworks try resetting the defaults.
I am unable to reproduce that issue.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi dmsims21,

Dynamic highlighting is turned off by the 3Dcontrol add-in when the 3D mouse is changing the view. This is by design. The constant "pick" when the mouse pointer is moved at the same as the view is being manipulated by the 3D mouse is causes a degradation in performance.

The state of dynamic highlighting is restored once you release the 3D mouse. Is that not the case?
Nuno Gomes
dmsims21

Post by dmsims21 »

The dynamic highlight doesn't restore when my co-worker lets off of the mouse.
I don't seem to have the problem since I am running the driver add-in that came on the CD.
My co-worker looses his dynamic highlight, but he is running the latest driver that he downloaded off of the website.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi dmsims21,
The dynamic highlight doesn't restore when my co-worker lets off of the mouse.
This is probably a bug in the add-in code.

Please send us the add-in and application version information. Also, if you can described the scenario (step-by-step procedure) with as much detail as possible, it may go a long way to get a speedy fix for this issue.

Thanks for reporting it.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi dmsims21,

It could be that your co-worker's device is not returning to zero properly. If this happens, the add-in would still think he is moving it and wouldn't turn dynamic highlighting back on.

Open the 3DxWare panel (you have to do this from the desktop or control panel icon) and select the Calibrate button to rezero the device. Make sure nothing is touching the device when you do this.

Please tell us if this fixes the problem.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
dmsims21

Post by dmsims21 »

Just calibrated the device. The problem still exists.

We are running SW 2008 SP2.0
Problem Driver "About..."
Release Version: 3.5.6
(Driver Version): 6.5.5
Firmware Version: 3.18
Device Type: SpaceExplorer

W/O Problem Driver "About..."
3DxWare Version: 6.0.16
Firmware Version: 3.18
Device Type: SpaceExplorer

I used to run the same Problem Driver, and had the same problem.

In SW with a model, assembly, or drawing, the Dynamic Highlight will turn off during 3D Controller movement. It usually turns back on, when the 3D Controller is released, but sometimes it doesn't.
We havn't been able to find any pattern.
wjaskela

Post by wjaskela »

I'm running Solidworks 2011, and I still have this problem where the Dynamic Highlight will turn off (unchecked). I've just downloaded the latest software release for SpacePilot Pro (3.13.1). Is this currently being investigated?
mtwebster

Post by mtwebster »

We also have the issue with dynamic highlight, confirmed on two systems, Win7 64 bit.

I've tried the 10 beta drivers as well as the latest release drivers without success.
Forin

Post by Forin »

Windows 7 x64 ( all windows updates)
solidworks 2011 x64 sp4

cpu: i7-920
mb: dfi x58 ut
ram: 6gb

gpu: AMD Fire Pro 3D v 4800 (driver 8.85..)

... and a space navigator with the latest nonbeta drivers

I have no dynamic highlight as soon as I install 3d connexion drivers - what a disaster - please fix this.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Forim,

Is the "dynamic highlight" not working when using the 3D mouse (this is by design) or totally unavailable? If the latter, can you check in the application options if "dynamic highlight" is enabled?
Forin

Post by Forin »

"Dynamic highlight" when using 3D mouse keeps turning itself off.

I need to open 'options menu' re-enable it, by checking the checkbox - then it would work for some random time till its suddenly gone and I need to re-enable it in options again.

Ok,

I installed latest beta drivers and the bug is gone. I think that maybe the problem has something to do with the device not being calibrated properly?(I needed to recalibrate the device after installing beta). "Dynamic highlight" by default doesn't work when you are moving object in solidworks, so maybe when device is not calibrated like it should it sends signal to turn DH off.

Anyway I'm positive that this bug is connected with the device, since I never had problems with DH, and problem was gone after uninstalling 3.14

I can't remember whether blue ball in 3.14 was visible all the time or only when moving object like in beta.

Hope that helps and sorry for posting in two topics.
ngomes wrote:Hi Forim,

Is the "dynamic highlight" not working when using the 3D mouse (this is by design) or totally unavailable? If the latter, can you check in the application options if "dynamic highlight" is enabled?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

No worries about the double posting, Forin.

If the device is drifting (continuously sends data even without the user touching the sensor cap), the 3D mouse software keeps dynamic highlight turned off.

You can recalibrate the device by using the "Calibrate" button in the driver panel.

Installing the beta software of 3DxWare 10 may have recalibrated the device.