New 3D mouse with older software?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

pkelecy

New 3D mouse with older software?

Post by pkelecy »

I am considering buying a SpaceMouse Pro for use with an older application (runs on Windows 7 Pro). I was told by the developer that the application does work with "older" 3D mice from 3Dconnexion. They were not specific on which products though. My question is, if I buy a new 3D mouse (like a SpaceMouse Pro) is it likely to work with this application? I would think a new device would be backward compatible, but just want to be sure before spending that much. Thanks!
Tehrasha

Re: New 3D mouse with older software?

Post by Tehrasha »

Would be helpful if you mentioned which application you intend to use.

It -should- be backward compatible, but it will depend on how the 'support' was incorporated into the application.

If you are planning to stick with an older OS, and older application that definitely works with older Spacemice, you might want to consider saving a few $$ and buy one on eBay rather than risk a $300 paperweight. There is also the advantage of taking a $35 test drive before deciding if you want to buy the Ferrari.
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
pkelecy

Post by pkelecy »

The application is JMAG Designer (a finite element code). The version I have is actually the latest release, but its support for 3Dconnexion mice has (reportedly) not been updated in a while (presumably due to lack of user interest). I suspect the lack of interest is mostly due to users not having been exposed to 3D mice. So much of JMAG is graphics-centric a 3D mouse would definitely make it easier to use.

I had thought about picking up a used mouse on eBay but wasn't sure how old it needed to be (or if that even mattered). And if a newer one would work (even a newer used one) I would prefer that as I would also like to use it with Solid Edge (another application I use a lot).

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it!
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi pkelecy,

as Tehrasha explained: it depends on how the support for the 3D mouse was integrated into the application. Unfortunately we don't have any information about JMAG Designer and thus cannot answer your question. You need to contact their development team to get this answered.
pkelecy

Post by pkelecy »

Thanks UtaSH. Are there different ways of integrating these devices into an application? If so, do you know if there is any documentation that describes that? Just want to get an idea of what questions I should ask the developer. I expect in the end though I'll end up just having to buy one and try it.

Thank you for your help.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi pkelecy,

the problem is that some time ago we told the developers that they can integrate the support for the 3D mouse by addressing the devices directly without making use of our SDK. The problem with this kind of integration is that they can only support those devices that are on the market when they do the development. As soon as we launch a new device their application won't recognize it.

If developers are using our SDK to add support for the 3Dconnexion devices then our driver takes care of new devices and the application only has to handle a generic 3Dconnexion 3D mouse. I would say you have the best chances to be successful if you try a SpaceMouse Pro (not the wireless one).
pkelecy

Post by pkelecy »

Thanks again UtaSH! That was very helpful, as it gives me a good question to ask (like did they used your SDK to integrate the device).

Regardless, I just purchased a use Spacemouse Pro to test. Even if it dosen't work, I should still be able to use it with Solid Edge. So we'll see!