Space Navigator is not found by windows

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

tremp

Post by tremp »

The problem is that the Space Navigator is not allways found by Windows XP: Space Navigator is not allways in the list of HID-devices (VendorID = 0x046D, ProductID = 0xC626) after I reboot the PC.

There has been other posts on the same subject. Common reply seems to be that there is a hardware problem. However, there was a hint that "Un-plug the device, hold down the both buttons and plug the device back on". The hint was very good, because it seems to work!

We have several Space Navigators in our own use and most of them are running the firmware version 3.18 and only the first ones have 3.17. I have seen the problem with the both versions. I have also seen that the problem follows the Space Navigator: if it stops functioning in one PC, it does not allways work in other PC's either.

Is there any newer firmware version available? I would be very interested to try it, because when the Space Navigator works, it is a fantastic device!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi tremp,

Please contact our Technical Support service (E-mail and phone details here).

Please make sure you provide them with an explanation (no device found on Device Manager, pressing buttons down brings device back up, problem follows device). I suggest you to send an E-mail with a link to this topic.
Nuno Gomes
Peter

Post by Peter »

Tremp,
If you have not already done so, here is a process that may be of assistance.
1. Download and save to the desktop the 3.5.6 driver from www.3dconnexion.com.
2. Manually uninstall the existing driver from Windows add/remove programs.
3. Reboot the PC.
4. Make certain that your log-in profile has full administrator rights.
5. Install the driver that you downloaded.
The driver should be version 3.5.6 and the firmware 3.18

Peter
Fred

Post by Fred »

Tremp:

Here is a set of instructions we would have you perform.
If the device still does not work we can perform an RMA.

Full uninstall and reinstall process for Windows XP, Windows XP 64, Windows Vista 32 and Vista 64:

Before proceeding make sure they or their IT administrator are logged in with full admin privileges.

1) Download the latest driver from the 3DConnexion website and save it to an easy to access location such as the desktop.

2) Uninstall the current driver through the Add/Remove programs. Then make sure the 3DConnexion folder in C:\Program Files is deleted and purged from the Recycle Bin.

3) Navigate to C:/Documents and Settings/your profile/Application Data or C:/Documents and Settings/admin/Application Data/ and delete the 3DConnexion folder there and be sure that it is also purged from the Recycle Bin. Check both locations to be sure.

NOTE: on Vista machines the paths to the profiles will be found in C:/Users/your profile/AppData or C:/Users/admin/AppData/.

4) Under the 'Start' button and 'Run' type in 'regedit' and hit OK to bring up the Registry Editor. It is strongly recommended that a backup of the registry be made first by right clicking on the My Computer icon in the left panel of the Registry Editor and selecting 'export'. Title it something like Registry Backup and point it to an easy to access location like the desktop. Once the backup is complete there are 2 registry entries to remove:

Under the branches
tremp

Post by tremp »

I thank you for your replies and instructions.
I do not however think that the problem is in the windows "driver"
(or is the "interface to the HID-driver" better name for it).

When we have the problem with the SpaceNavigator, it looks to be completely dead.
The Windows plug-and-play should find the device automatically, but this is not happening! Is the device in a state that it is not doing any USB-communication and that's, why windows can not see it. It seems that windows does not even try to establish connection to it.

We have some experience on HID-device since we are manufacturing couple of devices, which are utilizing also the HID-driver. When we have a problem with our HID-device, we normally at least get a windows error message, something like "device was found but not functioning due to some error".

The testing of the problem is not easy. The SpaceNavigator might work ok for some time and then suddenly it is not found any more. After the "two button trick" (sometimes also reboot helps) windows finds the device and SpaceNavigator is back in business and might work ok for days.
yhuang

Post by yhuang »

That's heard not good.
Raayaar

Post by Raayaar »

Same problem here... Thank god I read this thread before the problem occured so I tried this push-buttons-and-unplug trick.
ddoug

Same problem...

Post by ddoug »

I am experiencing the exact same problem... and when I tried unplugging the device, then holding both buttons down while plugging it back in, that fixed it for me as well. My SpaceNavigator PE is now recognized by Vista. There is definitely a device problem here... perhaps SpaceNavigator must actively send a notification to Windows (for some hardware/OS configurations) for the device to be recognized. Very strange.

Thanks for the hint to get my SpaceNavigator back working again.
Lampje74

Post by Lampje74 »

Hi.
I'm experiencing the same problem with my SpaceExplorer (usb).
Folowing the hint of pressing 2 buttons on the Navigator i pressed buttons 1 and 2 and while plugging in. XP gave the USB device pluged in beebs and shortly after that the mouse's lights turned on and was functioning :)
maclingt

It is really a issue for many user

Post by maclingt »

I have the some problem as tremp. The frequency of problem is more and more enormous. The problem does not always appear. but it is really a annoying issue for the user of space navigator. I use HP XW9400 workstation with os of Windows XP x64. The windows system can recognize SN, but the driver(3dsrv.exe) can't be loaded at bootup of system. I tried to start the driver manually without replugging SN, but the system had no response with no error message and no 3Dx Ware icon is appeared in the system tray. I also tried "two bottom and replugg" trick, but with no luck. The driver is loaded with success when I replug SN and loaded manually. After successful driver loaded, the icon of 3Dx Ware appeared at the right hand lower side of desktop( system tray.)
This is not a formal solution, and the issue of problem needs to be solved by technical staff of 3Dconnexion.
jaeckerb

Ditto

Post by jaeckerb »

Same problem here. It's come up a couple times previously. Only this time did I get smart and look here. Sure enough, two button trick worked. Not immediately. It took a few minutes for the lights to come back on and start working.
Looks like it's time to upgrade the driver for INV09 anyways. Though I wish the update process didn't sound so much more involved than your usual device driver update. I'm going to hope that the new driver is a long term solution to the issue.
Fred

Post by Fred »

As explained by ngomes,

Please contact our Technical Support service

Please make sure you provide them with an explanation (no device found on Device Manager, pressing buttons down brings device back up, problem follows device). I suggest you to send an E-mail with a link to this topic.
idephil

CRAPY Solution

Post by idephil »

when i reboot or shutdown pc the device will not lighten nor working and cannot be launched by driver or anything else.

Solution: Crawling under my desk for over 2 years and change USB port then launch driver. light goes up and the SpaceNav is working back until next reboot or shutdown :( .
bulge009

Post by bulge009 »

same problem here. non of these solutions seem to work for me. including the two button reboot. including following the cut off instructions from fred.
please, some one send some helpful advice before i return this. all software is up to date. this is a new product. this is lame.
Lauri

Windows XP SP3 Problem?

Post by Lauri »

I have recently updated my pc with a new intstallation of windows XP with service pack 3. The initial installation of the 3Dconnexion v3-6-10 went well and the device was found and worked. Following a re-boot, the device does not work (no Lights) even with 2 button plug in trick and many many installs uninstalls deletions etc. The software or driver will not start, the actions don't run, as if they are being ignored or blocked in some way. You can plug the SN into differnt USB ports, windows will detect it as a 3Dspace navigator but it wont run or power up.

As I am still able to boot the same PC with my old hard drive containing Windows XP service pack 2, I tried this, and sure enought the device worked in the exactly the same port and driver version. No problem.

Having read the other posts here, and after my tests on the same machine and differnet versions of Windows, I can only guess it's a driver/software issue related to XP service pack 3.