SpacePilot Pro how to adjust deadzone

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit0

SpacePilot Pro how to adjust deadzone

Post by Kit0 »

I have no idea how to adjust the deadzone of the SpacePilot Pro. Tried some old posts about certain setting called "deadband" but that setting isnt anywhere on the xml files.
My problem its with the rotation setting (the last one on the speed menu but in the opossite direction of a clock) which makes makes my viewport in 3D Max to keep rotating slowly ven if Im not touching the SPP.
Callibrating doesnt work because if I callibrate while the viewport its moving slowly then it may move in the oposite way if I touch the joystick again and leave it at "zero". I really need to adjust the deadzone slightly.
I cant understand how a hardware that its well beyond 500€ havent a simple setting to change the deadzone through UI. Software its getting worse and worse with every release :( .
UtaSH

Re: SpacePilot Pro how to adjust deadzone

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Kit0,

I am sorry if you are disappointed with our software. You can set a global Deadband in the %AppData%\3dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\Global_User.xml. The range is the input range of the device, ~350.

e.g.

Code: Select all

<Settings>
…
   <Deadband>150</Deadband>
</Settings>
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

UtaSH wrote:Hello Kit0,

I am sorry if you are disappointed with our software. You can set a global Deadband in the %AppData%\3dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\Global_User.xml. The range is the input range of the device, ~350.

e.g.

<Settings>
…
   <Deadband>150</Deadband>
</Settings>
Hello, thanks for the reply. I cant find the file you point "Global_User.xml". I do have "Global.xml" tho. It's the same file or should I create "Global_User.xml" by myself?
Also, how much its supossed to be the default "deadzone"? Just so I know how much should I increase over the default value.
Once I change the deadzone (once I find where), it have instant effect or do I need to close and open the software?

And just in case that it's necessary, this is the only thing writen on "Global.xml":

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><Global Default="false" xmlns=""><Settings><LogLevel>FFFFFFFF</LogLevel></Settings></Global>
Kit0

Post by Kit0 »

UtaSH wrote:Hello Kit0,

e.g.

<Settings>
…
   <Deadband>150</Deadband>
</Settings>

Ok I just did some tests and seems to work perfectly fine when used on "Global.xml". An option on the software would be better tho. Its kinda ashamed how the software lacks any kind of customization beyond the keys. Im sure we could make the joystick work even with software no made for it.

Thanks for the solution.
mjgaisser

Post by mjgaisser »

Yeah, as you found out "Global.xml" is the right one. I don't know why they keep telling people the wrong filename. I adjusted the global deadzone on my SPP last week and while the device reports the same value regardless, certain applications are more sensitive than others. I set mine to 40 and that catches most of the flutter on a good day for me, but yours may need something else depending on the raw input.
soylentrg

Post by soylentrg »

Hi,

I need to adjust my deadband as my Spacemouse Pro is slowly drifting in yaw and calibrating does not solve the problem. I'm using 3DxWare 10.4.9. This particular Spacemouse Pro (I have 2) has done this since new but is now out of warranty.

I do not have a Global.xml or Global_User.xml file to edit.

I have files in these locations:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\

Where can I add the deadband information? <Settings><Deadband>150</Deadband></Settings>
soylentrg

Post by soylentrg »

Gee thanks for all the help...NOT! :roll:

I managed to sort out myself. If you don't have a global.xml then all you need to do is disable/enable the LEDs by right clicking on the 3DX tray icon.

This created the file "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\global.xml" which I then edited as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><Global Default="false" xmlns=""><Settings><LEDsEnabled>true</LEDsEnabled><Deadband>10</Deadband></Settings></Global>

Spacemouse Pro working perfectly now. Why this isn't in the GUI is anybodys guess.