3dsMax 8-9 driver version 3.0.x issue

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

diego

3dsMax 8-9 driver version 3.0.x issue

Post by diego »

Greetings,
could someone explain/solve this?

I'm experiencing a problem with the new 3.0.x drivers (also with 3.0.9), both in Max 8 and Max 9. That didn't occur in older version of SpacePilot drivers (2.8.x).

I'm in move/rotate/scale mode and something happens just milliseconds after a scroll/rotation of the viewport: selected object chatches somehow input from the SpacePilot wheel and relocates or rotates or scales itself! AND THE OBJECT DOESN'T RESPOND AT ALL TO UNDO/REDO! so I have to MANUALLY relocate it.

Maybe it's happening 'cos I'm clicking left mouse button (i.e: to move my object) just a while before or after the wheel input finishes or some, and so things got mixed up...dunno.

Anyone experiencing this?

I hope someone could give me an answer...since it's a pretty ugly bug..

Thank you all in advance.

Diego

p.s. Yes, "enable object movement" option is OFF
p.p.s. another question: why you dropped photoshop support?

[My system: WinXp64, Nvidia QuadroFX1400, dual Opteron 275, 2gb RAM, nvida4 chipset]
ngomes

Re: 3dsMax 8-9 driver version 3.0.x issue

Post by ngomes »

Hi diego,
We will try to reproduce this problem and post here the results.
diego wrote: p.p.s. another question: why you dropped photoshop support?
Please refer to the post Where can I find 3DxOffice, 3DxPhotoshop and 3DxAcrobat?
Nuno Gomes
diego

Post by diego »

Thank you.

You're very kind here at 3d connexion.

Diego
mweigand
User
User

Re: 3dsMax 8-9 driver version 3.0.x issue

Post by mweigand »

Hi diego,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience you have with our product. To be able to help you with that issue we first have to reproduce it. Unfortunately that was not yet possible with the details you provided so I want to ask you to give us more information.
diego wrote: I'm in move/rotate/scale mode [...]
The 'Modeling' configuration is active?
diego wrote: [...] something happens just milliseconds after a scroll/rotation of the viewport: [...]
I assume you have 'Disable Rolling' deactivated?
diego wrote: [...] selected object chatches somehow input from the SpacePilot wheel and relocates or rotates or scales itself! AND THE OBJECT DOESN'T RESPOND AT ALL TO UNDO/REDO! so I have to MANUALLY relocate it.

Maybe it's happening 'cos I'm clicking left mouse button (i.e: to move my object) just a while before or after the wheel input finishes or some, and so things got mixed up...dunno. [...]
The movement of the object that was initiated with the mouse was stopped as soon as I moved the camera with the SpacePilot and I had to click the object again to move it. There was no movement of the object caused by the SpacePilot. Could you please explain what exactly you do with the left mouse button?

The issue is tracked as #4268.

Thank you for contacting us.
diego

Post by diego »

thank you for your fast response.
first of all, excuse me if i cant' explain better so i did a video capture to let images explain for me.

but first, let's answer your questions:
The 'Modeling' configuration is active?
don't understand what "Modeling configuration" means to you. I'm in 3dsmax, with move tool activated.
I assume you have 'Disable Rolling' deactivated?
activated or not it's the same. the behaviour could be recreated anyway.
The movement of the object that was initiated with the mouse was stopped as soon as I moved the camera with the SpacePilot and I had to click the object again to move it. There was no movement of the object caused by the SpacePilot. Could you please explain what exactly you do with the left mouse button?
sorry for not being clear in my explanation: I rotate the viewport with spacepilot and THEN, clicking the mouse, the object moves.

Just see the video. After some tries (since it doesn't happen everytime, seems you have to catch a particular time istant) you see the object disappear, then I zoom out and i find it in a random position, then I try to undo this unwanted movement and it does not respond and i have to move it again by hand..

http://www.seemonkey.com/3d/capturedivx.avi

(890kb, latest divx codec required)

3dstudio space pilot panel settings:

camera view/Movement:

-Move scene

center of rotation:

- Scene/Object

disabled Rolling: on or off (it's the same)

Options:

-all 3 options are set OFF

Device settings:

-all 3 options are set OFF

Sensivity:

-both set on mid values

I hope this could help solve the issue. For any other question, please let me know

thank you a lot.

Diego
kelv_w

Post by kelv_w »

diego: I had the same problem sometimes.. though I tried to replicate what you did in your video sample, I didn't have the same problem.

Mine happens in some pretty heavy loaded file...I'll keep on testing again to see if it's Max or SpacePilot. But I did have problems with calibration quite often. Whenever I twist to rotate left, it'll just turn right instead. Really weird. However the problem didn't surface after I switched 'Zoom Direction' in the control panel to default.

Did u have the same problem?
diego

Post by diego »

Hello kelv_w,
no doubt it's spacepilot drivers' fault. Nevere experienced this with old 2.8.X drivers.

From what I just read, seems your problem is very different, never had problems on rotation. It's a whole different issue (even don't know if yours it's an issue or a feature, never touched calibration)

cheers.

diego.
mweigand
User
User

Post by mweigand »

Thank you for your detailed description and the video. We were able to reproduce this issue and forwarded it to the responsible developer. Tracked as #4268 for internal reference.

Best Regards,
Marc Weigand
kelv_w

Post by kelv_w »

I suspect this might be software problem as one of our students encounter the same issue even without the 3dcontroller installed (no drivers or hardware).

Perhaps with the 3dcontroller, the problem cropped up much more often?
diego

Post by diego »

Hello kelv_w,

Pleast post on this thread only if you'are experiencing THE EXACT same issue I described above, from your last post it seems it has nothing to do with my problem. :wink:

diego
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

I am having the EXACT same problem at work in 3ds Max 6 with the Space Pilot. It drives me nuts because it happens quite often (but not consistently). Diego described the exact same problem I am having. It's frustrating because I cannot undo the move, and the object gets moved far off the screen, I always have to move it back to the original position. Any solution to this would be appreciated, thank you!

I can try to record a video as well if that helps.

P.S. Please continue to support Photoshop! I use Max, Maya and Photoshop all the time at work and appreciate the seamless support - I'm using the drivers from the archive for the time being.
jesusrg

Post by jesusrg »

I have the same problem, and sometimes i can´t relocate the objects, so i have to stop using space pilot. I use 3D Studio Max 9 64bits.
mweigand
User
User

Post by mweigand »

Thank you for your replies. We are still looking into that issue.
Ganymedes

Post by Ganymedes »

I'm also experiencing this problem. 3ds max 9 & SpaceBall (seems this is not device-dependent). Previous posts describe the issue pretty well.
mangun

Post by mangun »

I'm also experiencing this problem.
It is very inconvenient and it gets irritated.
it can't undo!!
I use 3dmax 7 and use 3.0.9, 3.1.3(beta), 3.1.8 driver with spacepilot.
hi~
i'm korean
i can't write english well. speak too. :-(
but read little ok!!
no problem!!!! :-)