SpaceMouse Enterprise Kit with my software...

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

papa_lazerou

SpaceMouse Enterprise Kit with my software...

Post by papa_lazerou »

Hi I am using a Spacenavigator at present and its great!

I have been hankering after an upgrade since I started using the navigator as I need buttons!! no point using the cap and having to move my hand back to the keyboard every few seconds. The spacemouse enterprise kit seems ideal it is loaded with features.

I use Hypercad-s and Hypermill by Openmind in my day job and I know they are not in the list of supported packages on the website, that said Hypercad states it works with a 3D mouse in the help file and even links to the 3D connexion site, go figure!
Input devices
The software is operated using keyboard and mouse input devices. 3DConnexion (www.3dconnexion.com) and SpaceControl (www.spacecontrol.de) 3D input devices are supported. Install the device driver, as specified by the manufacturer. hyperCAD-S also supports multi-touch operation using finger gestures.
And my navigator works fine so no worries. But the Spacemouse has that fancy LCD screen, what happens when I use it with my package? What will the screen display? I cant seem to find any information at all. And for that sort of money I really want to be sure what functionality I will have, as I am buying it out of my own pocket as the boss wont stretch to this one

Thanks for any help on this
UtaSH

Re: SpaceMouse Enterprise Kit with my software...

Post by UtaSH »

Hi papa_lazerou,

I apologize for not having answered this earlier. The display of the SpaceMouse Enterprise shows the names of the commands that you have mapped to your buttons. As we don't provide a default configuration you have to map your own commands / keyboard shortcuts to the buttons. The driver will show then there an icon for a keyboard shortcut which is a symbol for a keyboard. All commands that you created will be the same symbol. Predefined macros (for example Copy or Paste) will have other icons.

I hope this helps.
papa_lazerou

Post by papa_lazerou »

Thanks for your response, I actually ordered my SpaceMouse Enterprise Kit Saturday and got shipping confirmation this morning. Pretty excited about getting it! I know I wont have full compatibility to take 100% advantage of it as say a Solidworks user but given I can program the buttons to do what I want it will definitely be a big productivity boost for me. I am going to email support for the CAD/CAM software I use and request on future development they support 3Dconnexion hardware fully as I know there are other users out there that have your mice too. Only time will tell on that one.
jwick

Post by jwick »

And if you want to do some work, we can tell you how to assign your own icons to your commands.
papa_lazerou

Post by papa_lazerou »

jwick wrote:And if you want to do some work, we can tell you how to assign your own icons to your commands.
Yes please! this would interest me a great deal. My Enterprise kit turned up half hour ago its really something else. Far better than expectations very happy camper right now
jwick

Post by jwick »

Writing up the procedure, it is pretty complicated. Simple, but lengthy.

Make some icons and macros for your application and PM them to me. I'll give you a cfg file that uses them.
You can get the format of the png files by looking at the ones we ship under 3DxWinCore64/Cfg/Images/3DxService.

Basically you need to create ButtonActions for your macros that have an Image element that references your icons. See Jet.xml for an example.

If this feature is popular enough, we may add it to the GUI. No promises.
papa_lazerou

Post by papa_lazerou »

Thanks when I've had chance to settle in with it and get everything how I want it and decide on what macros I'm going to setup I'll pm you.

Also on the buttons to the right, some gave 2 functions like ISO1 ISO2 on the same button. How do I toggle between functions?
jwick

Post by jwick »

You activate the blue ones (e.g., ISO2) by pressing the button for a longer amount of time.
superplexus

Post by superplexus »

Hello, I use SpaceClaim, which is apparently a "Certified Partner" with 3Dconnexion. However, the new SpaceMouse Enterprise I just received has no configuration for the numbered buttons for use with Spaceclaim, other than picking views. I tried to locate any references to SpaceClaim in the 3DxWare folders, and there is none. I wrote to Support at SpaceClaim to ask if they can work with 3Dconnexion to create Macros with icons for their tools using the Developer Tools. They suggested that I ask 3Dconnexion to work on this. I did make some Macros, but the icons are generic, which is less than helpful, and also there is no Environment Sensitive Button Mapping, which is when the SpaceMouse Enterprise really shines. So, my question is, what should I do? I am even interested in following through with doing it myself, via the information you mentioned in the quote below, if you could give me some instructions. I found out by looking at the icons, that they need to be 24x24 pixel PNG files, with names like "Sketch_Mode". That is all I know how to do. I looked at Jet.xml with my son, who is into some coding, but we are at a bit of a loss as to how to configure it for SpaceClaim. If you are able to get me started, that would be great. Finally, should I be pushing SpaceClaim to create the xml?

Regards, Michael
jwick wrote:Writing up the procedure, it is pretty complicated. Simple, but lengthy.

Make some icons and macros for your application and PM them to me. I'll give you a cfg file that uses them.
You can get the format of the png files by looking at the ones we ship under 3DxWinCore64/Cfg/Images/3DxService.

Basically you need to create ButtonActions for your macros that have an Image element that references your icons. See Jet.xml for an example.

If this feature is popular enough, we may add it to the GUI. No promises.
Epithumia

Post by Epithumia »

Hi,

Did the instructions for assigning graphics to buttons get written up in the end?

I've just programmed macros for Modo into my brand new mouse, and I'd like to get the right graphics showing.

I don't mind editing xml, but instructions might be easier than reverse-engineering the supplied files.

Thanks,
Epi
jwick

Post by jwick »

There has been no progress on it.
Epithumia

Post by Epithumia »

Ok, thanks for the reply.

To add my own icons, should I be hacking modo.xml in Program Files, or modo.xml in %appdata%?

I haven't been able to get it to work so far, and I'd at least like to make sure I'm hacking the right file.

Thanks,
Epi
Epithumia

Post by Epithumia »

I'm trying to add just one icon to start with, but I don't know if I'm doing it right.
(Well, it can't be right, because it doesn't work..)

<ButtonActions xmlns:driver_images="./images/3DxService/">

<ButtonAction Type="Macro">
<ID>Link</ID>
<Name>Link</Name>
<Image><Source>[driver_images:Generic_Extrude.png]</Source></Image>
</ButtonAction>
</ButtonActions>

<ButtonFlyouts>
<Category Sort="true">
<ID>UI_Macros</ID><Name>STR_UI_MACROS</Name>
<ButtonAction><ID>Link</ID></ButtonAction>
</Category>
</ButtonFlyouts>
jwick

Post by jwick »

You are very close.
There are a couple of problems:

Your Link macro doesn't exist. You have to create one in the MacroTable (Program Files...3DxWinCore64/Cfg/en-US.xml).
E.g.,

Code: Select all

<MacroTable>
    <MacroEntry>
      <ID>Macro_Modo_Link</ID>
      <Sequence>
        <KeyPress>F</KeyPress>
        <KeyPress>C</KeyPress>
        <KeyRelease>F</KeyRelease>
        <KeyPress>11</KeyPress>
        <KeyRelease>C</KeyRelease>
        <KeyPress>E</KeyPress>
        <KeyRelease>11</KeyRelease>
        <KeyRelease>E</KeyRelease>
      </Sequence>
    </MacroEntry>
  </MacroTable>
And in PF/modo.xml, the syntax of the ButtonFlyouts section is wrong:

<UI>
    <ButtonFlyouts>
      <Category Sort="true">
        <ID>UI_Macros</ID><Name>STR_UI_MACROS</Name> 
          <ButtonAction><ID>Macro_Modo_Link</ID></ButtonAction> 
      </Category> 
    </ButtonFlyouts>
  </UI>
Once you fix that, this works:

<ButtonActions xmlns:driver_images="./images/3DxService/">
	<ButtonAction Type="Macro">
		<ID>Macro_Modo_Link</ID>
		<Name>Link</Name>
		<Image><Source>[driver_images:Generic_Extrude.png]</Source></Image>
	</ButtonAction> 
Of course you should put your images in a MODO-specific directory <ButtonActions xmlns:def_images="./images/MODO/">.

My apologies for making you edit these files in a completely undocumented manner. Please ask our tech support to add this functionality to the GUI. I can't work on it until it is driven by customers.
Epithumia

Post by Epithumia »

Brilliant!

Thanks so much for your help.

Not sure I've got it quite right (I now have copies of the macros in both %appdata% and Program Files) but I have icons and the buttons work, so I think I'll stop messing with it!

I'll make the request about the GUI.

Best regards,
Epi