Backup and Restore 3DConnexion Profiles

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

takedownca

Backup and Restore 3DConnexion Profiles

Post by takedownca »

What is the best method for backing up profiles and later restoring them to either the same machine or a different PC? I've tried copying and pasting the "%userprofile%\Application Data\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\profiles" directory, but it doesn't seem to take on a new machine. It ignores the newly pasted profile and creates a different one (or overwrites the copy/pasted one). I made sure to do the copy/pasting with the 3DX driver shut down. It would be great if there were an official procedure. Thanks.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Make sure you have run the driver installation on the second machine.

This is the path the profiles are saved to:
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application Data\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\profiles

The files have an extension of .scg

(If you cannot locate the Application data, you will have to enable show hidden files\folders.)

Save a copy of the profiles and
copy them into the same path
on the second machine.

First time starting the driver and application switch the profile to the one you copied into the above patch.
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I did exactly that the first time I tried to copy over my work settings to my laptop. I guess I'll try it again.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Depending on the application if it uses one of our Plugins the first time it will create a new profile. Open the 3dcontrol panel and select Option
Delete Saved Configuration.
Choose the incorrect profile and delete it.

Then select the one you want to use.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I can only speak for the configurations saved by the driver. The plugins also save configurations. Those are saved separately. We can answer those on a case by case basis if needed.

The driver saves your config files in your "Application Data" directory. If you use the APPDATA variable to access this, it will work on any system (Vista included).

Copying all the files from %APPDATA%\3dconnexion\3dxware\profiles on one machine to the other only gets the files there. There is also a registry entry that should be exported and imported (HKCU/software/3dconnexion/3dxware/applications).

These registry entries tell the driver which config file you used last time you ran the application. If you don't export and import that, you will still have the files, but you may have to reselect the user config in the 3DxWare GUI while the application is running.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Thanks for the registry key, Jim. I knew there had to be a missing link I wasn't aware of.