Space Navigator Erratic and Sticky behaviour

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

teardrop3d

Space Navigator Erratic and Sticky behaviour

Post by teardrop3d »

SpaceNavigator has started to react very strange today. In all the programs it on tapping the zoom (push/pull knob) the prgrams (Solidworks, Google Earth etc) will continuosly zoom out/in. If I click calibrate it'll stop zooming but on tapping it it will begin again! I've used the driver to turn off that axis and the continual zooming stops. However even with out the zooming Solid works seems to be moving very eratically when rotating the model - ie. it will sometimes move the model or it might pause for a second before moving. or it might not move at all! so you get this jerky movement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. After the problem I downloaded newest drivers but still the same problem. I've plugged it into other USB ports to no avail. So it might not be a software problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
teardrop3d

Post by teardrop3d »

Did a little more testing. The eratic behaviour is mainly occuring with the tilt and roll/spin axis - perhaps because these are linked to the up/down axis?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Teardrop3d,
If you open one of the DEMOS, does the Space Navigator still respond erratically?
Also, make certain that the Space Navigators USB cable is connected directly to the PC (do not use any type of USB hub or extension).
Have you installed any new anti virus or firewall software on the PC recently? What operating system are you using?

Peter
teardrop3d

Post by teardrop3d »

The SpaceNavigator is connecgted directly to my laptop (Dell 9400) I have tried several other USB ports. And with the Firewall I do have ZoneAlarm Internet Suite installed but the Space Navigator has been working with it for a few months now. My operating system is Windows XP Pro SP2.

In regards to the demos:

The Quicktime VR via your website does not work, at all. I have copied the VR file and ran it via Quicktime player instead of embedded on website. But still no response.

With Google Earth I have the same problem.

HOWEVER,

I decided to uninstall the current software and re-install the driver all over again (including uninstalling driver via the device manager/hardware menu). Since re-installing the driver/software I have tested the unit with google earth. It no longer reads my in/out axis. I seem to only have the pan axis - rolling axis does not work! Same goes for Solidworks. Can now only pan - however, on the bright side the panning is smooth. But can't rotate or zoom. Have clicked calibrate a few times but to no avail
teardrop3d

Still no luck

Post by teardrop3d »

Hi,

I am still having problem with the Spacenavigator. I have now lost a couple of axis of movement. I've been fairly busy and haven't had a chance to do much with the mouse but it is a AU$150 paperweight at the moment. Although I'm thinking of purchasing a new 3dconnexion mouse I now feel like I've wasted some hard earned money and my trust of your products is a little hesitant. Do you think this is a hardware problem? Is there anyway to fix this?!?!?