Does the spacenavigator PE work with ANSYS Classic?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

BigSwede

Does the spacenavigator PE work with ANSYS Classic?

Post by BigSwede »

Is there a special trick to make it work?

:wink:
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello BigSwede:

Ansys has historically included support for our devices using our SDK, and the support is done completely by ANSYS. I would recommend sending them an email and we will also try to find out some information from our side as soon as we can.

Also, by "ANSYS Classic" do you mean "ANSYS Professional"? Since you know the application well, it would help if you could define that so we are sure to be on the same page.

Thank you,

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
DonTonino

Post by DonTonino »

According to the Ansys documentation support for 3-D input devices is built in, but there is still need for an Ansys driver that has to be supplied (apparently) by the device supplier. I gather that by this is meant the 3dxware driver - could it be that this driver must somehow be made to be 'seen' by Ansys so to make it work properly?
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

That would be part and parcel of the 3Dconnexion SDK implementation, which has always worked previously.

We can help facilitate through our bus dev organization if we understand a bit more about the environment -- i.e. Ansys product/version number, system settings, etc. Also, we're assuming that you are able to run with other 3D apps, for instance, even the demos we provide with the software.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
DonTonino

Post by DonTonino »

Windows XP, SP2, fully patched
ANSYS 10.0 Multiphysics (tried also with an older 8.1)
SpaceNavigator drive version 3.0.9

No matter what I install first (either ANSYS or the SN driver) it works perfectly fine in most applications (demos included), ANSYS just doesn't recognize it.

When properly working, should it be just a matter of 'plug&play', or are there any settings that are to be adjusted in the system/ANSYS config files? ANSYS manual refers to SpaceMouse and SpaceBall only, has the SpaceNavigator been properly tested with ANSYS or the compliance is just at driver level?
lt7e7

Post by lt7e7 »

Just checking if you have already found a solution for this issue. I would also be interested to know if it is possible to get SpaceNavigator function with ANSYS.
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

Hi everyone, I assume you are all referring to x86 (32bit)applications? I know that Ansys released a service pack for v10 to support our drivers on x64. At any rate, it is best if you contact Ansys directly for further information. You will of course need to install 3DxSoftware to make things work.
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company
DonTonino

Post by DonTonino »

While looking out RBC9 driver I solved the problem: I just had to rise the device speed as the default one is too low to show any effect in ANSYS :oops:

My apologies for not checking this out immediately, and thanks anyhow for the the feedback.
Ken Denton

Post by Ken Denton »

DonTonino, Thanks for the post. I'll make sure this is mentioned to our programming staff.
Ken Denton
3Dconnexion, Inc. A Logitech Company