3D space navigator NOT working in Maya 2016 Extension 2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

clareswift

3D space navigator NOT working in Maya 2016 Extension 2

Post by clareswift »

Hi,
Any news when there will be a driver update for Maya 2016.5
Climberfx

Re: 3D space navigator NOT working in Maya 2016 Extension 2

Post by Climberfx »

Same here too! I manage to copy the plugin to the correct folder of maya 2016.5, but it crashes on open (Maya Ext 2).
:(
jim_altvr

Post by jim_altvr »

Add me to the list of users who can't get their SpaceNavigator to work with Maya 2016 Extension 2
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi everybody,

we have heard your request and we are working on the support for Maya 2016 Extension 2. Our next release is already in the testing phase so I am afraid the fix will not make it into this release. But I will make sure the priority is increased on this. ;)
Climberfx

Post by Climberfx »

Man, this take too long to update the driver for last released softwares. And i'm not talking about a little program, i'm talking about Maya 2016 Ext2.
What is happening?
Will we need to wait until they release the next update, to have your hardware working with the other one?
This is ridiculous...
dseeni

Post by dseeni »

seriously, I'm thinking about just ditching my 3d mouse and installing extension 2. Its been over a month hasn't it since ext 2 was release? I like the mouse but we're so dependent on their driver integration in maya :/.
michaelk42

Post by michaelk42 »

UtaSH wrote:But I will make sure the priority is increased on this
How is this not something that's been taken care of by at least last week?

This is Maya we're talking about here, not some obscure app that like 5 people in the world use.

Even worse, why can't we simply tell the driver what program we want it to see Maya Ext. 2 as Maya, and not autocad? Even Logitech can do this with no trouble.
Dalphelus

Post by Dalphelus »

Couldn't agree more here. As someone who just got their SpaceNavigator a week ago specifically for use in Maya, this is not a very impressive display.
dseeni

Post by dseeni »

I really hope they release something soon..I have been checking in daily for over a month because I would like to utilize the modeling improvements in extension 2 Maya.
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

This is getting kind of ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that it is taking a month and a half to compile the driver for the new API. Are you quietly dropping support for Maya? Are there only 3 people left working at the company, and two of them are on vacation? Is Maya just not a priority? What? Literally every other plugin I have, was updated weeks ago, and most of those are far more integrated with the program than an input device driver!
jim_altvr

Post by jim_altvr »

Another frustrated customer here. Most of us, I would imagine, have purchased 3dconnexion products to be used with one main application. In my case, it's Maya. Any company that creates peripheral hardware (or middleware software) knows that keeping up to date with new software versions is just part of being in business. I expect more from a company that has been in this business for as long as this one has. They should have early access to these major releases long before we consumers do. This should give them plenty of lead time to support update as they come with minimal lapse and downtime for their customers.
If each new software release causes months of non-use for Logitech's customers, it's a pretty sub-par business model.

The products themselves are great but expensive, which is why I'm so disappointed. It's like owning a beautiful sportscar that I'm only able to drive a few months out of the year. Meanwhile, it's rusting in my driveway (since it's only a matter of time when these current models stop being supported.)
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

jim_altvr wrote:I expect more from a company that has been in this business for as long as this one has. They should have early access to these major releases long before we consumers do. This should give them plenty of lead time to support update as they come with minimal lapse and downtime for their customers.
If each new software release causes months of non-use for Logitech's customers, it's a pretty sub-par business model.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The team that makes Substance (a $200 program) worked with Autodesk to make sure Maya supported their software out of the box. Arnold Renderer ($800 software), took a few days to support the new version of Maya. Renderman (free non-commercial) had an update available for the new API within the week 2016.5 was released. I'm sitting here with two $300 desktop 3D mice, and another $100 notebook 3D mouse, that are useless, because 3Dconnexion didn't even know their hardware didn't work in Maya until a forum user told them.

I understand, they were wrapped up in releasing their new fancy piece of hardware, but all the fancy hardware in the world, is of no good if it doesn't work with the software.
Wickett01

Post by Wickett01 »

How long will it take from now to get a working plugin?
michaelk42

Post by michaelk42 »

millahjovich wrote:we have heard your request and we are working on the support for Maya 2016 Extension 2. Our next release is already in the testing phase so I am afraid the fix will not make it into this release. But I will make sure the priority is increased on this. ;)
That's the exact same answer we got over a month ago.
UtaSH wrote:Hi everybody,

we have heard your request and we are working on the support for Maya 2016 Extension 2. Our next release is already in the testing phase so I am afraid the fix will not make it into this release. But I will make sure the priority is increased on this. ;)
I'm probably just going to go to thumb-trackball + Logitech G13, I get more keys and it's more programmable anyway. Not to mention it doesn't require the app to have special input code (that apparently sometimes just breaks) just for the hardware.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

michaelk42 wrote:
millahjovich wrote:we have heard your request and we are working on the support for Maya 2016 Extension 2. Our next release is already in the testing phase so I am afraid the fix will not make it into this release. But I will make sure the priority is increased on this. ;)
That's the exact same answer we got over a month ago.
millahjovich is a spammer. He made 5 posts today, all of which were quoted material from previous posts in their respective threads.
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.