3D space navigator NOT working in Maya 2016 Extension 2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Climberfx

Re: 3D space navigator NOT working in Maya 2016 Extension 2

Post by Climberfx »

Ow My God! :(
jim_altvr

Post by jim_altvr »

Finally decided to file a support ticket. Here is the response I got today:
"Good Afternoon <username omitted>

It is not typical that updates or even major releases affect support of 3Dconnexion products, but obviously in this case support for the 3D mouse was affected by changes to Maya. The plugin for Maya required changes made by our development team here at 3Dconnexion, which have been made and are now in the QA phase. I apologize that when you originally inquired we were not able to provide you a more accurate time frame, however now I can share that the next driver should be publicly available at the end of the week <emphasis mine>...
<other message content omitted>
...Best Regards,

Paul St.Pierre "
So I guess now we wait until the end of next week.
Climberfx

Post by Climberfx »

Well sir, this is the response i receive yesterday ticket, so i think there is a conflict of responses.

"Thank you for contacting 3Dconnexion Technical Support Team.
Unfortunately the release date of the new driver that supports Maya 2016 Extension 2 is not known yet.

With best regards,
Mykola
3Dconnexion Technical Support"
clareswift

Post by clareswift »

OK, so this is getting ridiculous - My first post on this was back in April - it's now JULY Someone is going to come up with a 3D mouse just like you have Connexion but they'll have drivers for the latest releases which means people will stop buying yours Your slow output of up to date drivers is not a good business model & garner's no customer loyalty
Mayauser

Post by Mayauser »

clareswift wrote:OK, so this is getting ridiculous - My first post on this was back in April - it's now JULY Someone is going to come up with a 3D mouse just like you have Connexion but they'll have drivers for the latest releases which means people will stop buying yours Your slow output of up to date drivers is not a good business model & garner's no customer loyalty
In no way defending them, you are right, it is ridiculous how long it took them to update this driver. That said, their newest driver does seem to be working in 2016.5 now. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, almost no one uses these devices, and so there really isn't any competition in the market, and no real incentive for anyone else to get in the market. I remember back in the '90s, the company that made the Spaceball tried to make a mainstream push into gaming, and failed utterly. People just don't care about 6DOF controllers. They are the nichest of niche markets.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi all,

sorry for the delay. We released a new driver for Windows - 3DxWare 10.4.4. This one has support for Maya Extension 2.
Climberfx

Post by Climberfx »

Ow, great! So, we, OS X users are doomed!
Marvelous, thank you!