Documentation for the 3Dconnexion Navigation Library Server

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

tsturm

Documentation for the 3Dconnexion Navigation Library Server

Post by tsturm »

Hi,

it seems the 3dxnlserver provides the 3D mouse states over Websocket/WAMP.
Is there any documentation available?

Best Regards

Timo
UtaSH

Re: Documentation for the 3Dconnexion Navigation Library Ser

Post by UtaSH »

Hello tsturm,

the 3DxNLServer was created for application that run in a web browser like Onshape. We do not have further documentation available. What information are you interested in?
tsturm

Post by tsturm »

Hi Uta,

maybe you still remember this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12764

I'm looking for a way to integrate your devices in different web applications.

With the standard HTML5 Gamepad API it only works with Chrome,
so I had a look at Onshapes solution and found out that the 3dxnlserver provides different 3D Mouse states over WAMP.

But the WAMP topics I can subscribe to look very Onshape specific.
Are there any other WAMP topics which provides more general data like raw axis and button states?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi tsturn,

The work with have done with Onshape isn't specific to Windows. We do not yet have an SDK to document how to use 3Dconnexion's solution for 3D mice on the Web. If you're interested in learning more about it, you can get in touch with us at API Support (the contact details are on the resource page for Developers ("My3Dx" account registration required).
Hypersonic

Post by Hypersonic »

With GamePad API no plugins are required. Checkout on http://html5gamepad.com/ on Chromium browsers (Chrome,Opera) on Windows, you can independently monitor all USB HID devices like 3DMice simultaneously, just make sure you press the controller button to activate. (BTW you might see an unknown device which is probably the KMJ driver.) This might work with Mac or Linux Chrome, has anyone tried it? Mozilla and Microsoft need to broaden their controller support for GamePad API (such as 3DMice) which they could do with a proper RawInput implementation. It's an unfortunate name for the API as it's not just for GamePads and it's not just for games, something like InputAPI would be better.

Maybe 3DConnexion could work with the browser vendors and have multiple sources feed into GamePad API (not just RawInput) that users could choose from, then they can configure 3DMice for webapps using XML files. Maybe the XML files could be hosted online so you could just plug in your 3DMouse on some random computer connected to the internet and feel right at home with all your configs available.

With Google Earth Plugin one had to install GE plugin and for 3DMouse control install JavaScript Joystick plugin. Now with Cesium no plugins at all are required, it uses WebGL for rendering and using the browser built-in GamePad API (no plugins) I've managed to have it support 3DMice as well.