Using S.N. w/ Sketchup (Free)... program crashes!!!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

drkangel1974

Using S.N. w/ Sketchup (Free)... program crashes!!!

Post by drkangel1974 »

I'm pretty sure it's the program... maybe can't take all the data coming in from the controller, but after a period of time, the program freezes, and shortly closes down!

Also noticed a big difference between sketchup and G.Earth... Google earth accepts multiple command requests simultaneously (like pan and tilt at the same time) but sketchup only accepts one command at a time (pan only, or tilt, or zoom).

Maybe this has to do with the "free" of Sketchup Free, or maybe it's my machine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Moderators.... any suggestions?
agoenczi
User
User

RE: Using S.N. w/ Sketchup (Free)... program crashes!!!

Post by agoenczi »

Hi drkangel1974

Could you specify what version of Windows (including Service Pack Number) are you using?

And what version of Sketchup?

Did you create any object(-s) before the crash?

Could you test on another system navigating in Sketchup?
drkangel1974

system

Post by drkangel1974 »

I've tried on my notebook, and on my computer at work. The notebook is actually better... a 1.4Ghz Celeron, with 512Mb RAM- XP home SP2, version 2002. Sketchup is latest... 5.0.305 . video is Intel 82852 GM/GME Graphics controller.

Any clues?

One thing... my computer at work is slower (1Ghz, 1024Mb ram, XP pro) and seems to crash quicker than notebook.

Also thought maybe USB 1.0 vs 2.0 might be making a difference... notebook is 2.0, office is 1.0.

thought maybe graphics version might make difference? Open GL vs Direct X. Haven't seen where sketchup makes the change though.
agoenczi
User
User

RE: Using S.N. w/ Sketchup (Free)... program crashes!!!

Post by agoenczi »

Hi drkangel1974

How did you installed the driver for the Space Navigator. You should had administrator privileges on the installation. For Sketchup you should have the same rights.

You mentioned a program crash. Please specify which program crahses: Sketchup or the driver.

The graphics version should cause no difference.

The device should function properly with both USB 1.0 and 2.0.
drkangel1974

program crash

Post by drkangel1974 »

It is Sketchup that crashes, not the driver. Sketchup uses a data collection program for crashes called "BugSplat". I have sent many of these data crash requests, with no reply. I really now believe it is Sketchup that has the problem accepting the data flow from the SpaceNavigator.

As for the driver, I only used the driver from the website, as the disk was already an older version.