spacepilot pro no joy in sw 2016 sp2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

willeo6709

spacepilot pro no joy in sw 2016 sp2

Post by willeo6709 »

I just received a spacepilot pro and cadmouse. The cadmouse I like so far, installed as easy as described and I was hoping the spacepilot was the same.

it works in the demo software in 3dxware
it shows solidworks in the lcd display
I installed a 3d control addin to solidworks, which is running but I have no idea if its the correct one
I am in sw 2016 sp2
win 10 x64

gripes:
the solidworks addin does not appear to be in the downloads area of the 3d connexion support pages
the instructions say nothing about add ins or other setup required
the manual is a joke.... if I needed help positioning the mouse on my desk would I have even bought it

It looks real useful if it works,,, otherwise I'll just file a return and send it back. Its the first 24 hours though,,,,,, hoping its something stupid yet undocumented. I was hoping for more from a solidworks certified partner.
willeo6709

Re: spacepilot pro no joy in sw 2016 sp2

Post by willeo6709 »

I don't see a post edit function.....
I do have a 3dcontrol toolbar in solidworks that does nothing and the spacepilot does nothing in solidworks only.... which is what I bought the thing for.

none of the view buttons work in sw, the poistioning knob does not work..... not even good to set my coffee cup on at this point.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello willeo6709,

did you install the driver with the default installation or did you make any customization during the installation.

Please make sure you start SolidWorks with the same rights as the driver is started. The driver is started when you login. And very often we hear that people start SolidWorks as administrator. Then the driver and SolidWorks cannot communicate. Please start both - the driver and SolidWorks - with the same user rights.

Let me know if this helps or if you need further assistance.
willeo6709

Post by willeo6709 »

did standard install- no customization
only one user account on the pc - admin rights
did the full uninstall, cleanup, reinstall wiping all the old files, folders, and registry entities
same deal

space pilot works in:
trainer
viewer
collage
demo
gibbscam

spacepilot does not work in solidworks 2016 sp2
the lcd manager does not list solidworks but solidworks does come up in the lcd display
view buttons doe not work
3d control does not work
3d control addin is present in sw and clicked on at start

Its possible its a user rights/ permissions thing in win 10 but I am not THAT much of an IT guy.......
astuntas

Post by astuntas »

Could you find a possibility to connect your device to another machine with sw 2016 sp2 but with windows 7 or 8.1? I want to buy Spacepilot PRO, but cases like this stops me. I also had problems with older plotter drivers in Win10, so I do not upgrade to windows 10. But I am interested if this is a WIn10 problem, or 3dconnextion software/drivers
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi willeo6709,

please try the following:
  1. Stop SolidWorks and stop the driver (Start -> Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> Driver -> Stop Driver)
  2. Right click the icon to start the driver (Start -> Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> Driver -> Start Driver) and select "Run as Administrator".
  3. Then start SolidWorks and verify if you can navigate now.
If not please let me know. We would then need a log file according to this FAQ.