How do I rotate in turn-table mode? (using Onshape)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ship69

How do I rotate in turn-table mode? (using Onshape)

Post by ship69 »

Hello

I am new. I just bought a Spacemouse Wireless (3DX-700043). I am using Onshape on Windows 7 x64.

When I rotate the black cap, how to I get it to rotate my model around the vertical (Z) axis?
i.e. When I rotate my model I want to 'orbit' it, as if it were a building and thereby keeping my vertical lines vertical.
i.e. I when I look at my model I want to look at it as if it were rotating on a turntable.

Many thanks

J
ship69

Re: How do I rotate in turn-table mode? (using Onshape)

Post by ship69 »

PS

What may (or may not) be part of the problem is that if I click the Right hand bottom on my 3D mouse and select "Top" view, the little cube top right shows "Back" upside down.

Front ==> "Top" (with writing correct way up)
Right ==> "Right" (but with writing rotated anti-clockwise by 90 degrees)

WAIT! I've just discovered Properties. I'll need to experiment. It camera mode that I need?
ship69

Post by ship69 »

OK the best I can find is Camera mode.

But I still cant find a way to lock the Z axis so that all rotations of view are orbiting around the Z axis

Any suggestions?
ship69

Post by ship69 »

Update:
OK I have used Camera view and have reversed EVERYTHING. Finally it now behaves naturally. If I push it away it goes away; drag it right an it goes right etc. It's as if I'm touching my model (very VERY cool to us newbies, btw).

I still haven't worked out how to fix my buttons to match the axes used in Onshape, though.
e.g. Front view in fact moves to Onshape's Top view. :^(
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello ship69 -

You've already found the right location for working with the options specific to your Space Mouse Wireless in 3Dconnexion Properties.

In OnShape the support for 3D devices is built into the application by its developers and there are navigation options inside OnShape. For navigation similar to turntable mode OnShape has "Align view with vertical axis". Select an edge or line you want to be vertical , click the right mouse button and choose "Align view with vertical axis" from the right-click menu.

The OnShape forum shows some other options for positioning views and aligning with the Z axis here.

For button mapping, you're not limited to the pre-defined views. You can map any keyboard combination in the Keyboard Macros section of the button editor. You can also map to a radial menu which acts like 'virtual buttons' allowing each of the 4 sections of the radial menu to be mapped to a view or command. In OnShape the question mark key on the keyboard brings up a list of OnShape shortcuts.

--------------
Barbara
ship69

Post by ship69 »

> For navigation similar to turntable mode OnShape has "Align view with vertical axis". Select an edge or line you want to be vertical ,
> click the right mouse button and choose "Align view with vertical axis" from the right-click menu.
Clicking "Align view with vertical axis" only seems to have a temporary effect. Irritatingly as soon as you right mouse click and drag it goes off vertical as I would much prefer to orbit (i.e. stay in Turntable mode).

I think the 3D mouse action is okay, even though it pays no attention to the model's Z axis (i.e. has no sense of gravity) - which frankly I would prefer.

What I cant understand is why even though I only have a Onshape window open in Chrome, why sometimes it say Chrome when your right click on the 3Dconnexion icon and sometimes it says Onshape.
Moreover once it starts saying Chrome, you then lose half of your Advanced setting options like Navigation Mode, Rotation Center disappear completely which is rather confusing. Does that mean that I can never set such options to work in Chrome?
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello ship69 -

Once OnShape is open it is acting as a separate application from Chrome. In order to have the OnShape settings and button mapping available , OnShape has to recognize a 3D mouse is present - that allows the OnShape profile to load in 3Dconnexion Properties.

A delay in the profile switching from Chrome to OnShape it is something that would need to be addressed by OnShape support. When 3D device support is added inside the application as it is with OnShape, any changes or updates needed for our devices to work properly inside OnShape would need to be done by their developers.

OnShape Support may have suggestions - and if they do, please share them with us here. There may be some command or action you can take in OnShape to prompt it to recognize the 3D mouse.
----------
Barbara
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello ship69 -

I also want to check which driver version you are using. Is it the current 10.3.0 version here ? You can check in 3Dconnexion properties - About.

3Dconnexion developers have been working with OnShape's developers for the integration into their cloud-based software. Details we can gather may be useful here in determining exactly where the delay in switching profiles originates.

Have you used OnShape in Firefox or only in Chrome ? The profiles would behave in the same way - with the Firefox profile active until OnShape is opened then it should switch to the OnShape profile.
------------
Barbara
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello ship69 -

In Camera mode you do see the navigation reversed - the model moving to the left when the cap is moved to the right. If you think of the device cap as a camera that you are moving to the right, it makes sense when the model moves to the left. You mentioned you've compensated for that by reversing axis directions.

Have you tried this combination of settings - Object Mode , Lock Horizon and Rotation - Use Selected Object ?

Lock Horizon keeps the model from rolling and Use Selected Object lets you choose the point it rotates around. With Rotation in Auto mode the driver calculates a rotation point and shows where it is with the little blue rotation center symbol. If you prefer the rotation center to stay in one place you can turn Auto off.
-------------
Barbara