Space Traveler - Wildfire 2.0 issue

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mmarcoux

Space Traveler - Wildfire 2.0 issue

Post by mmarcoux »

After seeing one of my clients easily navigate through his Wildfire 2.0 assembly with a SpaceTraveler, my company decided to pick one up for me. It really is quite an amazing tool.

Unfortunately, I'm having a most strange issue with it. Using the Space Traveler with my mouse is impossible. It's almost like it is completely disabled. It takes minute to process every mouse pick, and my computer is sounds as though it is breathing it's last breath. As if this is not strange enough, as soon as I open the 3D Connection Control Panel, the SpaceTraveler is disabled, and my mouse works perfectly. The assemblies that I have this issue with are relatively small. And to make matters even stranger, I don't have this issue at all when I open a simple part, like a washer.

Just some basic background info: I'm running Wildfire 2.0 on a Windows XP PC. Both software packages are up to date. Any ideas?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi mmarcoux,

The first thing to check is whether the ST needs to be calibrated. Hit the Calibrate button in the 3DxWare GUI while NOT touching the device.

Then see which, if any, process is consuming massive CPU time on your machine while this is happening. Look in the Task Manager.

Please report your results back here.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
mmarcoux

Post by mmarcoux »

Hi Jim,

When I hit the "calibrate" button in the Control Panel while the taskmanager is open, this is what I see:

System Idle Process - 99 (CPU)
taskmgr.exe - 01

There doesn't seem to be any other processes that are really running all that hard.

Mike
mmarcoux

Post by mmarcoux »

Jim,

Strangely enough... after hitting the "calibrate" button, I no longer have the issue.

Thanks!

Mike
jwick

Post by jwick »

Terrific.

The problem was your device was outputting data continously to your application, which was keeping it too busy to do all the other stuff it is supposed to do.

This is usually caused by someone plugging in the device while they are holding the cap. The device senses its startup position as its "rest" position. When you eventually let go of it, it thinks you are pushing on it and it sends this data to the application continuously.

The Calibrate button tells the device to choose a new rest position.

Happy designing.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
mmarcoux

Post by mmarcoux »

Thanks so much!

Mike