Mechanical Desktop 6 with Spaceball 5000 USB

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ttaktn

Mechanical Desktop 6 with Spaceball 5000 USB

Post by ttaktn »

Hi there,

I'm using Mechanical Desktop 6, AutoCAD 2002 and Inventor 6 all on the same machine. I predominantly use Mechanical Desktop 6 and I have a few problems with the software.

The main one is the 'set rotation centre' command which does not appear in the 3Dconnexion driver. I had an older version of 3Dconnexion installed and have now upgraded to upgrade version: 3.4.2, driver version: 6.4.4. Both drivers did not have the 'set rotation centre' command.

To get around this, there was a toolbar within Mechanical Desktop which enabled me to click a button labelled 'set rotation centre' which then allowed me to pick a point in the model for me to rotate about.

I phoned up support with this problem, and they suggested to use the new driver (3.4.2) along with an old 'legacy/archive' driver for AutoCAD. I have now installed this driver, but this has removed my toolbar within Mechanical Desktop so I am now totally without the 'set rotation centre' command!!

Would you have any suggestions as to getting the toolbar back within Mechanical Desktop 6, or even better, a way to get the 'set rotation centre' command in the drop-down list in the 3dconnexion driver?

Many thanks in advance

Alex
Fred

Post by Fred »

You would have to make a macro in Mechanical desktop 6 to use a specific key on the keyboard to be set Center point.

Next you can create a macro in the 3dcontrol panel and map that key.
From there open the control panel in mechanical desktop and select the button you want the macro set to.