Generic SpaceController Support

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

Recently I have aquired a SpaceNavigator, and must say it's a great tool for applications that support it (in my case Photoshop CS3, Cinema 4D and Sketchup), but feel it's full potential is being let down because of lack of generic support.

I fully understand the advantages of native implementations in applications and games, and that your developers may have different priorities. However, acceptance of new technology, and implementiation of native support by external developers depends on their priorities. One of the major factors influencing these priorities is installed userbase, which could be greatly expanded with generic driver support.

Community efforts like RBC9's hacked Windows driver have shown it is technically feasible, and there's even a commercial option (ControllerMate) for Macs. However, ControllerMate would not have existed if it would only have supported SpaceControllers, simply because their market would have been too small. Lack of publicity and support of RBC9's solution will do nothing to increase the number of adapted SpaceControllers, especially while it is lacking support for early adopter OS'es (x64 XP and Vista).

Generic support in applications would already increase the useability and userbase of SpaceControllers, but the advent of general multi-axis joystick support in games through Microsoft's "Games for Windows" initiative is a great opportunity as well. Playing games with a SpaceController is comparable to console controller precision, but is much more versatile, intuitive and immersive than the usual dual thumbsticks. With generic HID mapping abilities, the userbase could increase considerably, after which developer acceptance will become much easier."Games for Windows" compatible schemes would be easiest to adapt with generic SpaceController support, but other games would also greatly benefit with the extra control opportunities your product would bring.

For instance, playing World of Warcraft with a SpaceController currently will involve a template mixing mouse- and keymapping that is far from optimal, but opens up completely new ways of control amazing current players. In a community that has concentrated information centres, where word-of-mouth approval is valued greatly, and technical aptitude is above average, a growing amount of SpaceControllers might lead to generic support for joysticks or even native SpaceController support. A big opportunity, especially since both the game and the controller are supported on Windows and Mac. Such support would increase the control effectiveness of all types of players choosing a SpaceController, be they former "keyers" (using hotkeys) or "clickers" (clicking the GUI), giving the opportunity to offload movement and camera control from the dominant hand to the other. A potential market of millions awaits.

The last foray of SpaceControllers into the consumer/entertainment market,the 90's SpaceOrb, was a failure because it was far ahead of its time. Not only let down by poor design decisions, but most severely by the need of native support forced by the DOS age. With the current design and generic control based on HID schemes, this should no longer be necessary. Alternative controllers like Nintendo's Wiimote and Sony's Sixaxis are more and more accepted into the mainstream, despite being less precise. The SpaceController could become PC gaming's control icon, as well as emphasizing and enriching the traditional uses of the PC, and even creating new ones. All of this without specialized additional hardware or software support, just by a logical addition to the driver software.

I cannot imagine why 3Dconnexion, and even less, Logitech itself, whose position as leading controller manufacturer is diluted by the native controllers supplied with the consoles, does not adjust its priorities. Even if protecting the position of their traditional controllers would be a motive, a bigger opportunity would be missed.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Phaedron

Thank you for posting here.

3Dconnexion appreciate customer feedback. I am sure that the marketing departement will read your contribution with great interst.
agoenczi
moidib

Don't be mis-deceived

Post by moidib »

Logitech had this over 10 years ago. it was called a Cyberman2
It was pretty much exactly the same thing but in game controller form.

I absolutely LOVED it, but it used a game port and they never ported it to USB and the last time I tried to find software for it it was non-existent.

But when it WAS supported, the software supported multiple "Profiles" that were automatically configured when you launched the game. It had tons of pre-made templates, and you could make your own.

I don't really know why they stopped marketing it as a game controller, but it has been VERY disappointing to me for years.
(Decent 3 was AWESOME with this thing)
supercaliber64

Post by supercaliber64 »

this is my one post in order to put post a new topic
virtualrain

Post by virtualrain »

Just created an account here to voice my support for generic application support on Vista x64.

I would love to buy a 3DConnexion product but won't until there is generic application support for Vista x64.

It's frankly bizarre that this has not been formally supported yet.
muddiman

Post by muddiman »

Phaedron,

I totally agree, support for generic programs and gaming would be a major plus and increase sales for 3Dconnection. RBc9's software finally allowed me to create the HANS Hands on Stick and SpaceNavigator as I posted earlier viewtopic.php?t=1499
The SpaceNavigator has the precision the SpaceOrb never had and because of that precision it makes for a faster learning curve with the unmatched maneuverability you cannot get with a mouse and keyboard. RBC9
dkosburn

Post by dkosburn »

Unfortunately the 3dconnexion representatives that post on this board seem to be unable to perceive the merits of more utility for their devices, responding with the same canned responses to post after post.

I've given up trying to communicate with them. See this post for more:
viewtopic.php?t=817
avaktar

Post by avaktar »

This thread:

viewtopic.php?t=817

already documents how far this conversation will go. What we're waiting to read is "Our PM department has revisited this request based on the overwhelming 80,000 views of the generic driver one of our users coded in their spare time, and it is now on the official roadmap for XX-date-XX."

Have you raised this again in any recent Product Management meetings?

Let's not pretend this request is something new.
The first thing I ever made in Blender was a cube.
http://3dpipeline.net
virtualrain

Post by virtualrain »

As a product manager, I can't possibly understand the logic to their strategy... they go out of their way to offer a controller at every possible price point, but they are all virtually useless to the majority of users.

Someone who is responsible for revenue and market share needs to get involved in product management because the current folks are dropping the ball.
Murdah777

Post by Murdah777 »

Just created an account here to voice my support for generic application support on Vista x64.

I would love to buy a 3DConnexion product but won't until there is generic application support for Vista x64.

It's frankly bizarre that this has not been formally supported yet.
Phaedron

Post by Phaedron »

Assertions had been given in another post that generic support would be forthcoming in the 3DxLabs beta of the new driver.

I quote:
muddiman wrote:I am contemplating on having a Windows 7 x32/x64 bit driver/user configurable interface developed for the Spacenavigator. The package would mirror RBC9’s application.
jwick wrote:The features you are asking for are in the next 3DxWare release. This has been in closed beta for the last 6 weeks.
However, the current public beta released this past week still has no sign of generic bindings. A clarification in which build of the beta these functions would be included, and in which timeframe it will be released would be appreciated.
jwick

Post by jwick »

We have released 3DxWare 10 open beta.

This release includes keyboard, mouse and joystick emulation.

Please try it out and let us know what you think. There is a new 3DxWare 10 Beta Forum for discussion.

I'm locking this thread so users who get informed about changes to the thread won't miss this announcement. Feel free to start a new thread to continue this discussion, if you wish.