NX5 Sketcher Issues

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

SoCalSwami

NX5 Sketcher Issues

Post by SoCalSwami »

WinXP Pro x64 SP2
NX 5.0.1.4
3DWare:
Release Ver: 3.4.2
Driver Ver: 6.4.4
Firmware Ver: 3.11
Device Type: Spaceball 5000

Dear 3DConn team,

After several weeks of using NX5 and the spaceball I have found some issues I would like to raise.

1) I find it difficult to popluate all the settings required for the new driver to function with NX5. I must populate the button configuration window for all applications (modeling, drafting, shape studio, et.) I find this task tedious and mkistake prone (I want to popluate all buttons with the same general configuration). I am requesting a change to the software to allow a more unified population method. A pull-down or toggle button in the Buttom-Mapping-Editor Command Categories window of the NX 3Dware dialoge that would popluate all button config for all applications at one.

2) Entering a sketch turns-off rotation. As documented in another post Recorded as a bug under 4493, I am curious if this bug has been addressed. I find it iritating to continually switch rotation on when entering a sketch. As documented, there is a work-around, but I don't not want to uninstall the plug-in.

3) In NX5 Sketch mode, the 3DWare icons for buttom mapping and Device Settings are grey'd out. I request this fuctionality so I can add the ability to change the Rendering Style from Shade to Wireframe. I currently must create custom functions using the NX global Keyword macro.

While my issues sound like complaints, they are not. You guys at 3D Conn are doing an outstanding job. The new lineup of products is outstanding. Several of my team memebers love their new Space Explorers. And the drivers continue to make great strides in functionality and customization.

Thanks,
Mike
agoenczi
User
User

NX5 Sketcher Issues

Post by agoenczi »

Hi SoCalSwami

It is very important to get feedback from customers, thank you for formulating your wishes and enhancement proposals.

1. The different configurations for several run-modes are for most of the users fine because you have to make those settings only once. I will forward your proposal to our development though.

2. Entering sketcher the rotation is turned-off by default. This is a characteristic of the sketcher and the sketcher doesn't offer change opportunities between allow/ban rotation.

3. I will ask the development to analise this issue and I will let you know soon about the answer I get.
agoenczi
SoCalSwami

thanks

Post by SoCalSwami »

Thank you for your reply. Your staff does great work.

My follow-up question is regards to the NX5 sketcher rotation comment you made. You mention the sketcher defaults off rotation. Are you saying UGS/NX5 has changed their code to default rotation off? Sorry if that question is too basic, but I want to be sure UGS has changed their code, so I can request they change it back.
And you're sure this is not a setting which 3Dconnexion can not change?

Thanks,
SoCalSwami
ngomes

Re: thanks

Post by ngomes »

Hi SoCalSwami,
Are you saying UGS/NX5 has changed their code to default rotation off? Sorry if that question is too basic, but I want to be sure UGS has changed their code, so I can request they change it back.
Have you considered that some (perhaps most) prefer not to rotate when working in Sketcher? Wouldn't those users find annoying having to turn rotation off and having to reset the viewing angle?
Nuno Gomes
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

ngomes wrote:Hi SoCalSwami,
Are you saying UGS/NX5 has changed their code to default rotation off? Sorry if that question is too basic, but I want to be sure UGS has changed their code, so I can request they change it back.
Have you considered that some (perhaps most) prefer not to rotate when working in Sketcher? Wouldn't those users find annoying having to turn rotation off and having to reset the viewing angle?
That's why there is the "orient view to sketch" button, so that when you rotate off plane, you can reorient the view to be in the plane of the sketch. Many times when working on a sketch, with existing geometry, you'll want to rotate the view to see something 'in the back', etc.

It would be much easier to map on of the motion controllers buttons to the "orient view to sketch" command (once), than to have to set the controller to allow rotation every time you go into a sketch.

My 2 cents, as a 16 year user of UG/NX.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi drkieffer,
It would be much easier to map on of the motion controllers buttons to the "orient view to sketch" command (once), than to have to set the controller to allow rotation every time you go into a sketch.
Conversely, you can also map a command to enable rotations in Sketcher: switch to that environment (rotations will be set to off), open the 3DxWare panel (menu Start -> Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> 3Dconnexion 3DxWare -> Show 3DxWare Control Panel) and assign the command "Rotations" to one of the 3D mouse buttons, close the panel.
When pressed, the button will now toggle rotations on/off.

Regarding bug 4493, it was closed as "invalid" since the behaviour (rotations off when entering in Sketcher) is by design.