The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

martinp

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Post by martinp »

Hi everyone,

First time install of a brand new SpaceNavigator does not error. However 3Dconnexion Control Panel will not run, and checking in Device Manager I see under Human Interface Devices, SpaceNavigator with exclamation flag. This tells me - The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Re-install from CD v3.1 or from download v3.4.2 gives same result. No other USB peripherals running on any ports, USB port works with other devices.

Installing the same SpaceNavigator on another PC (XP Home SP2) works fine.

If anyone has any idea what I need to check I would be grateful for your input.

Thanks and regards,

Martin.

XP Pro v2002 SP2
Athlon 1.67 Ghz
2Gb RAM
Fred

Post by Fred »

Martinp,

Double click on the icon with the Exclamation point:
Look for the following
To install the drivers for this device, click Update Driver. This starts the Hardware Update Wizard.
What happens after you perform the above.

Verify you have full administration priveledges for installing software and drivers.
martinp

Post by martinp »

Fred,

I tried to re-install the drivers and get a message - Cannot install this hardware - There was a problem installing this hardware - USB Human Interface Device - An error occurred during the installation of the device - The data is invalid.

Tried it from both of the PC CD drives with the same result.

I do have full admin privileges

It installs fine on another PC.

Do I need to remove other USB device drivers, and try again? I hope not!!!
Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

Have you tried pluggin in the device using a different usb port?
Make sure your plugged into the pc usb and not a usb hub.
How old is the pc?
You may have to go and download updates for your usb devices.
It appears windows is not recognizing a Human interface device which it should recognize without any problems. You may need to do a repair on Windows.
martinp

Post by martinp »

Have you tried pluggin in the device using a different usb port?
Yes, no difference.
Make sure your plugged into the pc usb and not a usb hub.
No hub used
How old is the pc?
Approx 2 years
You may have to go and download updates for your usb devices.
USB software for IPod removed. USB 2.0 mobo drivers reloaded. USB works fine with other devices when connected (DVD drive, hard disc), no other USB devices connected during SpaceNavigator install.
It appears windows is not recognizing a Human interface device
Without anything installed it is recognizing the HID when SpaceNavigator plugged in, but I can't correctly load the drivers. After install Solidworks recognizes that the SpaceNavigator should be present, but of course I can't use it. Windows definitely detects when the SpaceNavigator is plugged or unplugged.

Tried installing with SpaceNavigator unplugged and also with it connected, same result in both cases. Each time removed previous install and started again.

Each time I re-install I get sent to the registration web page, which I ignore and immediately close. There's not some link between me not registering the new install and it not working is there? Having registered once, why do I keep getting sent there to do it again?
Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

Martin,

What version of Solidworks are you running?
Click tools addons and make sure 3dcontrol is checked.

Do the demos work?
(Look in the 3dconnexion/3dconnexion 3dxware demo folder).
martinp

Post by martinp »

Hi Fred,
What version of Solidworks are you running?
SW 2007 SP3.1
Click tools addons and make sure 3dcontrol is checked.
It is, and when SW starts I get a pop up saying - "3DConnexion Motion Controller driver (3DXware) not found. Please start the driver now. You do not have to shut down Solidworks."

Selecting "Start Driver" from Programs/3DConnexion/3dConnexion 3DXWare/ does nothing.

The 3DControl menu is shown in SW, as is the 3D controller toolbar, but all of the buttons in that toolbar, apart from Help, are grayed out.
Do the demos work?
(Look in the 3dconnexion/3dconnexion 3dxware demo folder).
No.

As indicated before, I can confirm that it installs on another PC, and the demos run properly.

On the PC where it doesn't work, Windows knows the device is connected, but for whatever reason the driver will not start either automatically, or manually.
Martin
martinp

Post by martinp »

Fred,

One more thing ...

I ran 3dxrepair.exe and it validated the installation.

I suspect we might have a hardware problem with the USB connection, though as the PC works with other USB devices when connected to the same port, this seems a little strange.

Is there a debug switch I can use to get more info when starting the driver?
Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

There is a 3dxware.log file that is in the following path
C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare

This will give details on what is started stopped, any error ect.
martinp

Post by martinp »

Fred,
There is a 3dxware.log file that is in the following path
C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare
This will give details on what is started stopped, any error ect.
And this is what that files says on my PC ...

The 3DxWare driver log file is now written under the user's APPDATA directory.

Open %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWare.log in Windows Explorer.

There is no log file in the %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\ directory, in fact there is no 3DxWare.log file created anywhere.

Is there a command line switch I need to use when starting the driver to enable creation of the logfile?

I have also tried the hints in the It works, It doesn't work, It works......... thread with no success.

This is starting to get a bit tiresome.
Martin
cignini

same problem: driver does not start

Post by cignini »

Hi,

it seems we have the same problem.

Installation seems to be ok, but the driver does not start: if I ask "start dirver", nothing happens, then I ask "stop driver" i got the answer "driver is not running". No way i can start the control panel or the demo files. Nothing at all. When i start solid edge i got the answer "no drivers found" or something similar.

I found exactly the same log file.

Tried the installation with the latest drivers on the web (3.4.2) and also with those on the cd, with different usb ports. Same result.

I called the assistance but they seem to have no clue (suggestion: try to install on another machine!!!!!)

Does anybody has encountered the same problem? Is it possible that an hardware problem causes the driver not to start or not to install properly?

I will try to update windows xp but I already have SP2 and all the updates until january 2007.

Looking for ideas...

bye
Fred

Post by Fred »

Martin,

Click on start,
settings control panel.
open administrative tools
Services
HID Input services.
right click choose properties
Is startup set to automatic

Try stopping then restarting the service to see if it will detect the #d device.
martinp

Post by martinp »

Hi Fred,

I went through a lot of things after searching the web for the message I got after trying to install - "The data is invalid" - including changing USB Registry permissions as some of the info I found suggested.

In the end I fixed the problem by following the instructions in this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810882/en-us

I can't tell if I needed both the Registry changes I made, and the KB info, as I didn't revert back after each Registry change that didn't work on its own, but my SpaceNavigator is now fully working, yippeeee!!!!

To cignini, I suggest you try to install your SpaceNavigator on another PC just to prove it really is working. If I hadn't done that I would have presumed mine was dead when it wouldn't install.
Martin