Inventor R9 Add-in not present?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Dew

Inventor R9 Add-in not present?

Post by Dew »

I've just got my Spacenavigator and I can't seem to get the add-in to appear for R9. The thing works, although if there's supposed to be a menu item (dunno?) it's not there, there is nothing listed in add-in manager (other than normal, should there be?). If I hover over the tray icon it says '3DxWare for Inventor (3DxInventor.scg)', but if I right click>open window then nothing happens.
I get a splashscreen with SW2006, but nothing with Inventor - is this normal?
I'm using latest drivers as of today, R9 SP4.

Any ideas?
Dew

Post by Dew »

It's not going well. I've opened up the first assembly this morning and it told me the assembly was sick, and needed updating. The update (yellow lightning bolt) won't go away, and although the red cross is highlighted, no errors are reported. I closed the assembly (it was OK before) and started a new part. This too (brand new part) said it required updating and had errors. This happens on any open document now.
I restarted Inventor - still the same. Restarted the PC - still the same. I did a repair install of Inventor, but still the same.
I then un-installed the 3DxSoftware, re-started Inventor and it's fine again.
So I reinstalled 3DxSoftware and now it's sick again.
I've also noticed that the document window hasn't got any minimize/maximise/close buttons in the corner (Inventor has these, but not the document window).

edit: OK - I just got it to go away by clicking 'Calibrate' after reading another thread here....

viewtopic.php?t=376&highlight=inventor
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Dew,

Inventor should not be marking a document as "dirty" (requiring updating or saving) if all the user did was change the view using the 3D mouse. That's a problem that we recommend you report to Autodesk.

The 3Dconnexion add-in for Inventor (3DxInventor) will augment the use of the 3d mouse buttons in the application (make sure you have the latest service pack / update for Inventor). It does not implement the view manipulation (navigation).
Nuno Gomes
Dew

Post by Dew »

Hi Nuno,

Whatever it was, it was definately caused by the 3DxWare, not Inventor. However it managed it I don't know but the situation was as follows:

Got Spacenavigator saturday, plugged into front USB.
Got back to work today, moved navigator to rear USB port, started inventor.
Assembly apprently sick (but wasn't really, was OK on other workstations).
Also a brand new part or assembly was also marked as sick and in need of updating and also no document window control icons (min/max/close).
Removing 3DxWare solved this completely (assembly OK, new parts etc. OK)
Reinstalling 3DxWare started problem again.
Going to panel, and hitting 'Calibrate' for whatever reason solved problem.

Cheers,
Chris
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dew wrote:Going to panel, and hitting 'Calibrate' for whatever reason solved problem.
Have a look here and here. Those two topics give an indication why is it necessary to use the "Calibrate" button.
Note that this particular matter is different from the other issue I was referring to (an application marking a document as "dirty" due to the use of a 3D mouse).
Dew

Re: Inventor R9 Add-in not present?

Post by Dew »

Dew wrote:I've just got my Spacenavigator and I can't seem to get the add-in to appear for R9. The thing works, although if there's supposed to be a menu item (dunno?) it's not there, there is nothing listed in add-in manager (other than normal, should there be?). If I hover over the tray icon it says '3DxWare for Inventor (3DxInventor.scg)', but if I right click>open window then nothing happens.
I get a splashscreen with SW2006, but nothing with Inventor - is this normal?
I'm using latest drivers as of today, R9 SP4.

Any ideas?
Any news on this? I've used the same software on a different workstation (albeit R10) and there's a splash screen, an add-in listed and a toolbar. None of this is present on my R9 installation.
ngomes

Re: Inventor R9 Add-in not present?

Post by ngomes »

Hi Dew,
Any news on this?
Sorry for not getting back to you on this particular issue.

Launch IV R9 and open the "add-in manager" panel. Right-click on the list of add-ins and see if the "3DxInventor" is hidden. If you find in there, try enabling it.
Dew

Post by Dew »

Hi Nuno,
I tried that, and there are no hidden add-ins unfortunately!
Cheers,
Chris
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Dew,

If Inventor does not list the "3DxInventor" add-in (hidden or not), then there is something wrong with your setup.

Open the Registry Editor (regedit) and check what is the "SupportedSoftwareVersionGreaterThan" value is set to under the key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B4A1FDAE-DF01-4F8F-BDF0-6F349DEC69B5}\Settings

Note that you need to be careful not to delete or change any information in the Registry.
Dew

Post by Dew »

ngomes wrote: Open the Registry Editor (regedit) and check what is the "SupportedSoftwareVersionGreaterThan" value is set to under the key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B4A1FDAE-DF01-4F8F-BDF0-6F349DEC69B5}\Settings
Key as follows:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B4A1FDAE-DF01-4F8F-BDF0-6F349DEC69B5}\Settings]
"LoadOnStartUp"="1"
"SupportedSoftwareVersionGreaterThan"="9.."
"Type"="Standard"
"Version"=dword:00000022
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Dew,

All values are correct. The "SupportedSoftwareVersionGreaterThan" is set so that the add-in is loaded in IV9 and above.

Would it be possible for you to test on a different system with an IV9 installation?
Dew

Post by Dew »

ngomes wrote:Hi Dew,

All values are correct. The "SupportedSoftwareVersionGreaterThan" is set so that the add-in is loaded in IV9 and above.

Would it be possible for you to test on a different system with an IV9 installation?
Possibly - but I really need to get it working on this workstation with R9 though. I use it OK on another station, but that's R10. What will that prove?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Dew,
What will that prove?
That the problem is in your particular installation of IV9.

You have an isolated problem. By that I mean that we have no other reports of SpaceNavigator customers not being able to see the 3DxInventor add-in on their R9 installation.

I suggested that you try another install of IV9 because all I can offer next is that you re-install the software, including the application.
Dew

Post by Dew »

ngomes wrote:Hi Dew,
What will that prove?
That the problem is in your particular installation of IV9.

You have an isolated problem. By that I mean that we have no other reports of SpaceNavigator customers not being able to see the 3DxInventor add-in on their R9 installation.

I suggested that you try another install of IV9 because all I can offer next is that you re-install the software, including the application.
I have already re-installed 3dxware and also repair install of r9. No change.

edit:

Ok, I've completely un-installed Inventor and 3dxware, removed directories, run CCleaner reinstalled Inventor, updated to SP4, reinstalled 3dxware.

No change.

I also use 2 other add-ins (iAssemblytools, Yippee) and these have both reinstalled and work fine. 3Dxware add-in is still not listed or operative.
ttruman

Similar problem...

Post by ttruman »

i just installed a new Space Traveller, and am using Inventor 2008. The 3dconnexion toolbar isn't available in Inventor, so it appears the add-in hasn't installed.

I've noticed that the registry key is labelled "SupportedSoftwareVersionEqualTo" and is set as "9..;10..;11.."

Is there a recommended change to make the add-in available?

Thanks.