Inventor R9 Add-in not present?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

agoenczi
User
User

Similar problem...

Post by agoenczi »

Hi ttruman,

Just right-click to the bar containing the lowest icon list and click to 3DxInventor so it will remain checked: afterwards you should have the 3DxInventor plug-in displayed. Alternatively activate the toolbar by selecting "View" -> "Toolbar" and finally 3DxInventor.
agoenczi
ttruman

Inventor 2008

Post by ttruman »

Actually, what I'm trying to say is that the toolbar isn't available to select because the add-in did not install.
agoenczi
User
User

Inventor 2008

Post by agoenczi »

Hi ttruman,

Please check if there is the add-in really not installed. To do that check if there are at least the help files installed by following the path:

Start -> All Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> 3Dconnexion Add-In for Inventor ->

Under normal circumstances you should have there 2 (or 3) files - Help and ReadMe - and eventually one localised version of the Help file.
agoenczi
ttruman

Post by ttruman »

Well, the path you mentioned is present., and there is a help and readme file. But the toolbar you described earlier isn't found in the menus, so I can't show it.

I'm working with the device, but I guess I was expecting it to show up in the Inventor Add-In manager as I'm used to in Solid Works or Solid Edge.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi ttruman

Could you test your device with Inventor 10?

Unfortunately Inventor 9 is not supported by Autodesk any more. The problem is that I can't reproduce the issue.
agoenczi
ttruman

Post by ttruman »

Actually, I only have Inventor 2008. I suspect that the registry key explicitly calls out to activate the menu for Inventor 9, 10, and 11, but this is technically 12, so the toolbar isn't available.
Dew

Post by Dew »

agoenczi wrote:Hi ttruman

Could you test your device with Inventor 10?

Unfortunately Inventor 9 is not supported by Autodesk any more. The problem is that I can't reproduce the issue.

...and in the mean time I'll twiddle my thumbs.....
Dew

Post by Dew »

Dew wrote:
ngomes wrote:
I suggested that you try another install of IV9 because all I can offer next is that you re-install the software, including the application.
I have already re-installed 3dxware and also repair install of r9. No change.

edit:

Ok, I've completely un-installed Inventor and 3dxware, removed directories, run CCleaner reinstalled Inventor, updated to SP4, reinstalled 3dxware.

No change.

I also use 2 other add-ins (iAssemblytools, Yippee) and these have both reinstalled and work fine. 3Dxware add-in is still not listed or operative.
Is that it then? I'm wondering now why I paid the extra for the SE (I thought support). I should have just got the PE for less money.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Dew,

Sorry for the delay, I tested 3DxSoftware v3-4-2 with Inventor 2008.

At first I installed Inventor 2008 and afterwards 3DxSoftware. After starting Inventor 2008 I was able to open a model (I used the sample file "engine assy.iam") and to navigate. As a final step I made a right-click to the empty-side (on the right side) and selected 3DxInventor - I got the 3DxInventor toolbar displayed.

Notice, that after installing an application you should run the "Update Wizard" in order to let 3DxSoftware detect your new application.
agoenczi
Dew

Post by Dew »

Hi agoenczi,

I have to use R9, not 2008.
The add-in is not listed in add-ins. The toolbar is not available.
This happened when I first installed 3dxware.
I have since:
ran 'update wizard': no change
reinstalled 3dxware: no change
completely removed inventor & 3dxware and reinstalled: no change

As I have previously stated, other add-ins install, are listed and work fine.

Chris
agoenczi
User
User

Inventor 9

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Dew

Unfortunately I couldn't test Inventor 9 and Inventor 9 is not any more available (from Autodesk).

Sorry for the confusion I saw previously the e-mails by ttruman who has Inventor 2008...

I can check only with Inventor 10 (which I can install), I will let you know about the result.
agoenczi
agoenczi
User
User

Inventor 9 and the 3DxInventor add-in

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Dew

I have found though an Inventor R9 and installed it. Afterwards I installed 3DxSoftware v3-4-2.

Starting Inventor the navigation worked, but no add-in was displayed.

I opened the registry editor (command regedit, or if you like so regedit.exe) and changed the value of the key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B4A1FDAE-DF01-4F8F-BDF0-6F349DEC69B5}\Settings]
"SupportedSoftwareVersionGreaterThan"="9.." from 9.. to 8..

Afterwards I started Inventor and I could let Inventor display the add-in (3DxInventor 1.2.3) by right-clicking on an empty region of the menu-bar and clicking on "Customize" (the last position in the drop-down menu. As the last step I have checked the position called 3DxInventor from the list of available toolbars - the add in appeared.
agoenczi
Dew

Post by Dew »

That's done the trick - thankyou!

Shame it took so long (July 21st)!

Cheers,
Chris
agoenczi
User
User

Inventor 9 and the 3DxInventor add-in

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Dew

I am sorry. It wasn't so easy to get an Inventor 9 and if I had tried with Inventor 10 I couldn't (for sure) reproduce your issue.

But finally your add-in is working now...
agoenczi
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Dew,

A few more words about this issue. The problem is caused by a bug in the way the installer registers the add-in. Basically, it is being set to work in IV10 and above when the correct setting is IV9 and above.

For your information, this issue is being track as bug 4586 and it is marked to be fixed in Release v. 3.5.