How to disable the On Screen Display?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

lazor

How to disable the On Screen Display?

Post by lazor »

I have a SpaceMouse Pro and want to use its four main buttons as buttons that I can hold down. Now that seems impossible to me because the On Screen Display shows up when I hold down the button and I can't see any way to disable this behaviour. I do not want to map all those buttons to the other buttons that I can hold down, I want to use the main buttons.

So, is it possible to disable the On Screen Display? If so, how? If it is not, can I completely disable 3dxware for one specific application, so that it won't show the On Screen Display when that application is active, other then completely uninstalling it?

Besides, is there any useful functionality that I am missing? It seems to me that the on screen display only shows me what button I am pressing, but I already know that. Is there anything else I can do with it?
Barbara

Re: How to disable the On Screen Display?

Post by Barbara »

Hello lazor -

Buttons 1-4 along the top of the SpaceMouse Pro are configured to bring up the On Screen Display with a long press. You can turn that off by un-checking "Enable On-Screen Display" .

Modifier keys - CTRL, ESC, ALT - are typically held down in combination with other keys. The numbered buttons generate press and release commands.

Since different commands can be mapped for each application and some have several environments like sketch, part or assembly it can add up to a lot of different mappings. Before OnScreen Display was added, opening 3Dconnexion Properties was needed in order to view mappings. On-Screen Display was intended only as quick view button mapping reference.
---------------
Barbara
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Barbara wrote: ... You can turn that off by un-checking "Enable On-Screen Display" .
Unfortunately this feature is not available in 3DxWare 10. But we have requested to add it again to the driver. This is tracked with our internal bug number #6883.
jwick

Post by jwick »

There is no GUI support for this but you can edit your %APPDATA%/3Dconnexion/3dxware/cfg/global.xml file to disable the OnScreenDisplay.
It needs to look like this:

Code: Select all

<Global Default="false" xmlns="">
  <Settings>
    <LogLevel>0</LogLevel>
    <LEDsEnabled>true</LEDsEnabled>
	<OnScreenDisplayEnabled>false</OnScreenDisplayEnabled>
  </Settings>...
DTM

Post by DTM »

Hi. Is there a way to leave the on screen display on? By mistake or maybe a glitch it stayed on. I switch the "enable" off then it was gone. But would like to be able to turn back on and stay on. is there a way?

Thanks
jwick

Post by jwick »

You want it to stay up all the time?
No, not that I know of in your release.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

Hi

I am having the same issue - would like to disable the on screen display so that I can map 1-4 buttons to a press-and-hold function.

This thread's from a year ago and it says this was listed as a bug... but I can't see any way to do this in the current "properties" panel (I'm on 10.4.2 driver, mac)
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

In the Windows driver we have implemented this in the UI. Open the "Buttons" panel. You will find the checkbox to "Disable On-Screen Display" on the left side at under the list of buttons.

On Mac this possibility is not available.
mcdj

Post by mcdj »

UtaSH wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:09 am In the Windows driver we have implemented this in the UI. Open the "Buttons" panel. You will find the checkbox to "Disable On-Screen Display" on the left side at under the list of buttons.

On Mac this possibility is not available.
pff, so I'm stuck with this crappy on-screen-display while It could also be used for improved interaction with the apps I'm using.
:evil: not implementing this for mac grinds my gears.