Problems with Space Navigator and Autocad 2008

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

cogombo

Post by cogombo »

Hi. I'm trying to use my Space Navigation in AutoCad 2008 in 2D mode, but when I pull or move the S.N. for zoom/move the view it regens a lot of and the movement / zoom is very slow. What can I do? :(

NOTE: I have updated my driver to the last version today.
My computer is a Dell Inspiron 9400 core2duo T7200 2Gb RAM Geforce 7900GS.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi cogombo

You could solve this by switching-off the Auto-Regen in AutoCAD by using the AutoCAD internal functions.
agoenczi
cogombo

Post by cogombo »

It doesn't works. When I deactivate the "regenauto" command and I move the SpaceNavigation, a dialog window appears saying "It's necessary a regeneration.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi cogombo

I would suggest a calibration of your device. Please start the "3Dconnexion Control Panel" and activate the "Calibrate" button. You will notice no change: the calibration program runs only in background. Please check again how the navigation works and share your experience by posting here.
agoenczi
tomatoe

Request for 2D zoom/pan option in AutCAD / Civil3D 2008

Post by tomatoe »

I am having the same problem as the user stated above. My Spaceball initiates a 3D view (setting the SHADEMODE variable to a 3D state). This causes extremely slow panning and zooming as well as frequent application crashes. The vast majority of my work is in 2D, but when working correctly the Spaceball can be quite a time saver even for 2D drafting.

I can use the Spaceball with AutoCAD 2006 with no problems because it does not trigger a 3D view state. I would like to see an option added to the AutoCAD 2008 version of the Spaceball driver that would disable the switch to the 3D state.

As it stands the Spaceball is almost useless for me in 2008.

Thanks.
ngomes

Re: Request for 2D zoom/pan option in AutCAD / Civil3D 2008

Post by ngomes »

Hi tomatoe,
I can use the Spaceball with AutoCAD 2006 with no problems because it does not trigger a 3D view state.
Do also see performance being impacted when you use the "Orbit" command? It also changes to a 3D view before manipulating it.
cogombo

Post by cogombo »

Hi. I tried with the "Calibrate" button but nothing. I maded a video for showing my problem

http://stage6.divx.com/user/cogombo/vid ... 08-Problem

please help
tomatoe

Post by tomatoe »

ngomes:

Thanks for the quick reply. There is a bit of a lag when starting the ORBIT command.

Note that in the AutoCAD 2006 version of the add-on there is the 'Motion Mode' setting. I always use 'Screen Mode'. The 2008 AutoCAD add-on behaves as if it is always in the 2006 equivalent of 'Desktop Mode'

If I am drafting in a 3D view to start with there is no lag, but drafting in a 3D view is not an option because many critical objects are not displayed correctly (wide polylines, text, hatches, etc...)

After seeing the video, cogombo's problem does seem to be the same as mine.

-Jeff
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi tomatoe,

Unfortunately, AutoCAD has proven to be quite a challenge for us to provide a quality solution. In other Autodesk applications -- like Inventor -- the navigation with a 3D mouse is brilliant.

In ACAD2007 and 2008, our add-in (since version 4.0) will switch to a 3D view before starting the navigation. We are looking into this to see if we can avoid that switch but we do not yet know if it can be done.
cogombo

Post by cogombo »

Then... It doesn't work??? :(
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cogombo wrote:Then... It doesn't work??? :(
It does work but with particular combinations of system, document and view setting, the performance is not up to par.
tomatoe

Post by tomatoe »

I just noticed this:

While navigation doesn't work well at all in model space, it actually seems to function quite well in paper space, even when multiple complex x-references are present.

Perhaps the 2D nature of paperspace allows for better navigation?
Now if only it would work that good in model space...

-Jeff
skwerl

Post by skwerl »

Was posting only to see if any solutions to this AutoCAD 3D-switch problem has been found.

I just acquired a SpaceNavigator and LOVE IT...only wish it would love my 2D AutoCAD drawings the same!!
agoenczi
User
User

2D AutoCAD drawings

Post by agoenczi »

Hi skwerl

Could you specify what 3DxSoftware Release you have? And which version of AutoCAD?
agoenczi