How to provide a preset for all users?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rbird

How to provide a preset for all users?

Post by rbird »

I am a CAD administrator at our company. We use a software deployment tool for installing software on our users workstations. Our CAD usergroup have come up with a preference for assigning CAD shortcuts to the SpaceExplorer buttons. What would be the best way to add this custom button-assignment as a company-preset to the default installation? We use OneSpace Designer Modeling.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello rbird,

You can create a configuration file with these presets then either save it into the 3DxWare config defaults directory before distribution or save it into each user's %APPDATA%/3dconnexion/3dxware/profiles directory. You could use MSI transforms to do either of these. Once the driver restarts it will pickup your new config and present it as an option to the user. If you really want to be clever you could even create an entry in the user's registry that tells the driver to user this file by default.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
rbird

Post by rbird »

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the info.
- What exactly is the "3DxWare config defaults directory"? Is it c:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\en_us\profiles\default ???
(It would be easier to do it here since the installation will take place with an adminstrators profile, so the users %APPDATA dir is not the same at the moment of installation)
- Suppose I do want to be clever and set the default configuration for my users to the companies preset, can you give me the registry-key where to do this? Is it HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Applications ??? Is user00.scg the default configuration at startup by convention?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Greetings,

Rbird
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello rbird,

Yes, those are the correct default config and registry locations.

In your case, you will create your own configuration name (something more descriptive) when you add it to the 3dxware/en_us/profiles/default directory. That is the name you will add to the user's registry entry for their application. The userXX.scg names are the config files that are saved in the users %APPDATA% directory.

Jim
rbird

Post by rbird »

Hello Jim,

I experienced that when I have 2 .scg files for my CAD-application in the default directory (the factory-preset and the tuned one derived from the first) that in the panel 3 options are available (also "Any application") although I specified only the second one in the registry. Sometimes it's even the one that is actually selected in the list. In that case the registry key is also overwritten at the same time. And I also experienced that sometimes 3D Com Modular appears in this list and gets selected although I don't have any dassault software on my PC and no ENOVWEB3D.EXE on the filesystem nor in my process-list.

Are there any known issues in this area?

Greetings,

Rbird
rbird

Post by rbird »

I think I have found the cause for the previously described behaviour. When in the registry a reference to a configuration exists like user00.cfg for an application "xyz" and this file doesn't exist anymore than the driver gets confused sorting out what configuration to use in my (running) CAD-application even when "xyz" is not running at all.

Greetings,

RBird
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi RBird,

We'll have to look into the behavior when a config file gets deleted from the file system, but is still listed in the registry.

The Any Application config always gets listed because its EXECUTABLES entry is *.*.

Jim
3Dx Software Development