Upgrade from Space Navigator to Space Pilot

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi torniaccio,

What configuration is selected in 3DxWare? It should be "CATIA." Select that specific configuration, then delete all other user configurations.

After that, open the "Button Configuration" panel in CATIA and check that, by pressing the SpacePilot "Config" button, your are able to cycle through the configurations. Also check that the LCD reflects that same change.

If all is well, close the "Button Configuration, press the "Config" button and check the LCD: again you should see the mappings changing as their were when the "Button Configuration" was up.
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

Hi Nuno,
The Config. selected is Catia, but the 3dx control panel doesn't allow me to delete "catiav5 preR15 1 & 2", but i've disable them.

In Catia "button config" panel by pressing the SpacePilot "Config" button, I am able to cycle through the configurations, and the LCD reflects that same change.

But when I close the "Button Configuration" and I press the "Config" button the LCD say "Next Catia config" then it doesn't change nothing.
It stay again on "Default 1". It doesn't cycle to "default 2".

Ciao Roberto
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

torniaccio wrote:But when I close the "Button Configuration" and I press the "Config" button the LCD say "Next Catia config" then it doesn't change nothing.
It stay again on "Default 1". It doesn't cycle to "default 2".
This is a problem with CATIA R16. Can you update to the latest service pack (SP5 or later)?
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

Hi Nuno,
thanks for your help, to know that is a Catia problem make me feel better; about the service pack, i will try to find it.

Ciao Roberto.
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

Hi guys,
i feel a different sensibility from the Sn. It (the SP) seems like to have a kind of dominant axis, but only when i make little movements.
I've tried to change the speed, but it always seems too fast or too hard and anyway it has this kind of dominant axis.

Ciao roberto.
Last edited by torniaccio on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

I feel also an annoying gap from the position "0" to the position "+x" (for example) when the device start his motion.

Ciao Roberto
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

torniaccio wrote:but it always seems too fast or too hard
What exactly do you mean? You are unable to scale the speed down enough? The minimum setting is not slow enough?
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

I'll reply monday!
Have a nice Week End.

Ciao Roberto
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

Hi,
I've make some tests using the SN Vs SP, and the only difference it's about the software I use.

In ProE I feel a very smooth motion and a good precision in little movement.
It's the same in 3dsMAx.
But in Catia I feel a movement that goes too much jerky; it too quickly accelerates, and the motion it si not so smooth.
I think that some catia's settings can resolve this little annoying feature.

Thanks Ciao, Roberto.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi torniaccio,
But in Catia I feel a movement that goes too much jerky; it too quickly accelerates, and the motion it si not so smooth.
Are you using a CATIA V4 document? The import of V4 documents in V5 is not always as smooth as it should and the camera parameters might be wrong/inconsistent.
If you are using a V4 document, try creating a very simple model in the native V5 document format and check if the performance is what you expect.
V5 is one of the best performing apps with a 3D mouse.
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

Hi Nuno,

No, I'm not using a v4 document.

But I've switched on (in Catia options panel_navigation settings) the "frame per second for 3dx" and I've set it on 30, it seems to be better than before.

But I always feel that (with little movements) the motion "jump" from the static position to the minimum speed (allowed by the settings) with no smooth acceleration.

Ciao Roberto.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi torniaccio,

The performance in CATIA V5 is excellent but if you have a very complicated model, then your system may be hard pressed to provide the necessary frame rate for a smooth navigation.

Have you tried using a very simple model (a simple cube)?
torniaccio

Post by torniaccio »

Hi Nuno,
The model I used for, it's a very simple one.
I agree about Catia's performance, and maybe what I feel, it's only a subjective feel.

Ciao Roberto.