SpacePilot doesn't work in 3DS Max v9 sp2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

bgcat57

SpacePilot doesn't work in 3DS Max v9 sp2

Post by bgcat57 »

I have:
Release 3.3.6
Driver version 6.3.3
Firmware Version 3.12
3DxStudio Version 4.4

When I first installed the software (I choose complete) following the included instructions, it worked fine although I got a 'conflicting drive error' from acrobat.
I'm running 3DS Max 9 sp2 on a Windows Vista Ultimate system. I also have Max v8 also installed on the same machine as well as Adobe CS2 studio. The Space Pilot worked in 3DS Max v8 only.

I uninstalled the software (3DX) and reinstalled it with only the Photoshop CS2 plugin and the 3DS Max 9 plugin. It worked the first time I started 3DS Max9 but never again. I tried restarting and rebooting to no effect. The 3DX control panel on the desktop works and Google Earth works and the 3DX panel is even available in 3DS Max9 but the LCD panel reads "Any Application" rather than 3DS Max. Also the Button configuration in the 3DxStudio in 3DS Max is not functional, as the assign button is greyed out. I'm not running any other apps concurrently.

Additionnally, when I run Photoshop CS2, the spacePilot works fine but the LCD reads Photoshop CS3 even though I didn't install (unchecked) the CS3 plugin and only installed, as I mentioned previously, CS2 plugin with 3DS Max9 plugin.

I want to note that the Space Pilot continues to run with photoshop and google so there is no lack of USB connection. It simply doesn't work in 3DS Max .

Now what do I do?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi bgcat57,

Are you running 32 or 64-bit (x64) builds of Windows Vista Ultimate and 3ds Max 9?

Also, it is possible that the application is running in a different "compatibility mode." Find the 3ds Max 9 executable, right-click and select select "Properties" then check the "Compatibility" tab and let us know what do you find there.
Nuno Gomes
bgcat57

Post by bgcat57 »

I'm running the 32-bit version of Vista. I shall check the compatability tab when I get home. Would the compatability issue account for the SpacePilot to work occasionally? Even if only 15% of the time.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bgcat57 wrote:Would the compatability issue account for the SpacePilot to work occasionally? Even if only 15% of the time.
No, I believe it does not explain why it works "occasionally."

It might explain why it only worked the first time you ran the application (Windows may switch the compatibility mode after the application terminates).
bgcat57

Post by bgcat57 »

The Compatibility mode tab for the 3dsmax.exe has no boxes checked except 'Run this program as an administrator'.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bgcat57 wrote:The Compatibility mode tab for the 3dsmax.exe has no boxes checked except 'Run this program as an administrator'.
This is what we were looking for.

Find the "3dxsvr.exe" file (the driver executable) and mark it to the run as administrator as well. The executable is normally installed to %ProgramFiles%\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare.
bgcat57

Post by bgcat57 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi bgcat57,

Do you recall if you set the "Run as admin..." option for the 3ds Max 9 executable yourself?
bgcat57

Post by bgcat57 »

I think I had but I'm not absolutely sure since it was a while ago that I originally installed it (whenever it fisrt shipped).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bgcat57 wrote:I think I had
In that case, I would appreciate if you could try running 3ds Max 9 and the driver (3DxWare) without the setting the "Run as an admin" compatibility option.
bgcat57

Post by bgcat57 »

I'll try it when I get home this eveing and get back to you.
bgcat57

Post by bgcat57 »

It doesn't work. I had to switch both ('3dxsvr.exe' and '3dsmax.exe') back to "Run as admin..." for it to work.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bgcat57 wrote:It doesn't work.
Thanks, bgcat57. I just wanted to confirm it.