3DConnexion (Cadmouse) drivers crashing game engine

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Bumper

3DConnexion (Cadmouse) drivers crashing game engine

Post by Bumper »

It appears that the 3DConnexion drivers cause the proprietary game engine I use at work to crash when I attempt to launch it, or at the very least it causes the engine to slow to a crawl. This is despite my uninstalling then re-installing only the Photoshop, 3Ds Max and Maya plug-ins.

Without the drivers installed the engine functions as expected.

Any ideas as to how I fix this?

I love the mouse, but it's going back if I can't get this squared away.

Thanks!
Bumper

Re: 3DConnexion (Cadmouse) drivers crashing game engine

Post by Bumper »

Huh, I received two emails saying there were responses to this post. However there have been none.

No reply from 3Dconnexion? I realize there is no way you can realistically test your software against proprietary game engines (as they are legion), but the standard Logitech drivers give me no issue.

I purchased both the Cadmouse and the new Logitech MX Master, to see which one worked for me. The Cadmouse fits my hand soo much better and the 3rd mouse button is awesome in Max. Sadly I am sending it back.

It's bad enough the drivers don't jibe with my software environment, but the radio silence from 3Dconnexion is really disappointing.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Bumper wrote:Huh, I received two emails saying there were responses to this post. However there have been none.
Most likely spam postings which have since been deleted.
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Bumper,

if the driver would crash this would be something we could look into. But as another software is crashing ... how can we help? The developer of your game engine (you?) should look into this.
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

UtaSH wrote:Hi Bumper,

if the driver would crash this would be something we could look into. But as another software is crashing ... how can we help? The developer of your game engine (you?) should look into this.

Hi UtaSH,

Alas, I am not a coder and have no access (nor any pull) when it comes to code changes.

I would be curious if those using other engines (Unreal, Unity, other proprietary) are having trouble as well.

I have to wonder if it's the joystick hooks that I assume are somewhere in your driver.

I'd love to keep the mouse but I don't get full functionality w/o the drivers. To your knowledge, are there generic 3rd party drivers/macro software that might be compatible?

Thanks.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Sorry, but I don't have knowledge about 3rd party drivers. :(
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

UtaSH wrote:Sorry, but I don't have knowledge about 3rd party drivers. :(

Not a problem, I understand.

I'm really disappointed by the situation. I have been a 3Dconnexion proselytizer for some time, as I've enjoyed using my Space Pilot Pro for years as a video game developer. However I can use neither it, nor my soon to be returned (and other wise outstanding) Cadmouse. It confounds me that while Logitech, Wacom's, etc. drivers can be used transparently with our engine, 3Dconnexion's cannot. I have a feeling were the drivers to contain solely the app plug-ins and the customization module there wouldn't be a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears there are aspects of the driver that are engineered to allow the device to also be a joystick. If this is the case, I think it's a mistake.

With all due respect to you UtaSH, as I appreciate your replies, 3Dconnexion's response to this problem has also been disappointing and short sighted. From my perspective they seem to be more concerned about people using CAD products and Google Earth... I cannot help but feel that my patronage doesn't matter to 3Dconnexion.

Your products are hailed as devices for professionals, not for playing games. Unless something changes, (perhaps 3Dconnexion spends more money/time on it's drivers) this developer is going to have to jump ship.