Inventor10 SP3a slow response from Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

pkquat

Post by pkquat »

We recently upgraded to Space Navigators (SN). Sometimes the response from the SN is very slow - delayed. Most often it is on simple parts when there are some assemblies open. The assembly response is still fast, and F4 for rotate is fast for the parts. The problem comes and goes. I haven't linked it to anything specific.

Has anyone else experienced this. Any ideas?

Space Navigator (Pan and Zoom tuned off)
Release 3.3.2
Driver 6.3.3
Firmware 3.18

XP SP2
Dell Precision 670
Dual 3G Xeon processors
3G mem
Quadro FX1400

Pete
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi pkquat,

Could you describe a scenario to reproduce this behaviour? Is it the same with Inventor 11 (if you could test a device in Inventor 11 as well)?
agoenczi
pkquat

Post by pkquat »

Sorry for the delay.

We are not running Inventor 11 yet so I can't test that.

I haven't defined it to anything specific, other than I only notice it on parts, not assemblies, which seems odd. The only change I can add from my original post is that it has happened when only a simple part is open (ie simple plates, blocks, extrusions, with holes etc.). It is not always the same part so I can't link it to a specific part or parts.

Zoom on the SN is set to "Up-Down" (Green Arrows)
Overall Speed is set to the 4th mark from the right.
Only Tilt/Spin/Roll is checked, (however having any or all of them checked makes no difference to the response time)
Advanced settings are all in the middle

The computer is a Dell Precision 670
Dual Xeon 3GHz processors
2GB Mem
Quadro FX1400 Graphics card.
Last edited by pkquat on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
pkquat

Post by pkquat »

Additional info:

I have noticed it has slow reponse all the time for parts once an assembly has been loaded. Also parts on their own have a fairly low response time. I no longer use it for parts.

Again the response time for assemblies is just fine.

To clarify, by "response time" I mean that the movents on the SN are delayed by about 1 second or more. The part moves on the screen accordingly at the proper speed, there is just a delay before it happens.

Pete
pkquat

Post by pkquat »

-Bump
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi pkquat

I will try to reproduce this issue. In the mean time I would like to ask you to download and install 3DxSoftware v3.3.6
agoenczi
pkquat

Post by pkquat »

3.3.6 Drivers are a significant improvement.

I have not enabled or tested Pan and Zoom, so I don't have any feedback on that at this time. There is very little delay for minor medium deflection moves in any rotation direction or combination of directions. There is only a minor delay and minor continued action for quick major deflection moves. There is a noticable but brief delay for simultaneous maximum deflections in multiple directions (diagonals or directions with a twist), and the part will continue to move at its current speed after the input has stopped for about a second or two. The longer the action is sustained the longer it contines after the input has stopped. Adding twist seems to have a greater effect on the delay and continuation of rotation. This is still much improved over the previous drivers.

Pete
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi pkquat

Do you use the 3D mouse in other applications as well? Did you notice improvement in other applications?
agoenczi
PLUVIER DANNY

same problem in Inventor 10SP3a

Post by PLUVIER DANNY »

Hello , i changed all the space Balls to space pilots and installed the driver on the CD , also the the latest driver from the website.

The changes are remarqueble.

After the installation of the driver (cd or downloaded) ,
Inventor 10 slows down.
if you click on a part , or on a partmenu , it takes some
seconds to open the menu.

Desinstall the driver and the problem is gone.

What can I do ?

As a IT-manager , I replaced 11 spaceballs
jwick

Post by jwick »

Is some process consuming an extraordinary amount of CPU time when you are experiencing these delays (task manager)?

If it is just a scaling issue, the sensitivity scale factors are all slowed down in the new 3DxSoftware releases. You can increase them back to normal by using the sliders in the GUI. That wouldn't effect the amount of time it takes Inventor to open a menu though.

Jim
3Dx Software Development