Spacemouse+ 3 XT USB not working in Solidworks.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ttrw

Spacemouse+ 3 XT USB not working in Solidworks.

Post by ttrw »

Hi Forum :D

I recently purchased a new Spacemouse Plus 3 XT USB, for use in Solidworks 2006. Although I've managed to get the buttons working (by installing an older driver over the top of the newer driver), the x/y/z controller won't work at all. Nor do the demo's work (they either don't start, or crash, or just sit there looking pretty, but doing nothing).

Basically, in Solidworks, I get the 3D controller toolbar but the drop down menu absolutely refuses to let me check both the tilt and roll functions. (Sorry, I'm having to remember this off the top of my head, because this computer is an Intel Mac, and I'm currently in OSX, but on Bootcamp I'm running XP SP2). This computer is a MacBook Pro Core-Duo II 2.16GHz with 1 gig of RAM installed. XP is fully up to date too with its vast amounts of updates! :shock:

One more thing, which you may find interesting (as I noticed this in another thread), as I am a product-design engineering student, my version of Solidworks is the student edition.

Any takers/help?

cheers- and looking forward to hearing from you.

Tom
ttrw

Post by ttrw »

Ken Denton wrote:gibbs,
The device is supported on all SolidWorks packages except the Student Design Kit or (SDK) I apologize for the disappointment.

Drag!

However, this doesn't explain why the Spacemouse' buttons work fine in SW2006SE :?

AND also why the demo's don't work.

Basically, I only have Microsoft XP to use Solidworks. To be honest I'd rather not use XP at all, but I need to test this mouse, as the supplier has another one for me if I can't get this one working. So I need to test it.

Any testing suggestions? SW's e-drawings? Sketch-up free??

Tom
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi ttrw,

The SpaceMouse Plus XP USB is fully supported in the most recent release of 3Dconnexion Windows software (v. 3.3).

SolidWorks Student Design Kit (SDK) should not be confused with SolidWorks Student Editon. SolidWorks SDK does not support third-party add-ins and has not been supported by SolidWorks for quite a while. SolidWorks Student Edition 2006/2007 should support 3rd-party add-ins just fine.

There is no need for you to install "an older driver over the top of the new." In fact, why have you elected to do just that?

Try again with a clean slate. Remove all your 3Dconnexion software, reboot and install the latest release (available from here). Ensure that the driver (3DxWare) is running and try the demos. Then launch SolidWorks Student Edition and check if the 3D Mouse can control the view.
Nuno Gomes
ttrw

Post by ttrw »

ngomes wrote: There is no need for you to install "an older driver over the top of the new." In fact, why have you elected to do just that?
The inspiration came from this thread elsewhere on your forum. But not until I had installed (and later uninstalled/ reinstalled) version 3.3 trying to get it to work.

I will try again like you suggest, then get back to let you know.

Thanks

Tom
ttrw

Post by ttrw »

ttrw wrote:
ngomes wrote: There is no need for you to install "an older driver over the top of the new." In fact, why have you elected to do just that?
The inspiration came from this thread elsewhere on your forum. But not until I had installed (and later uninstalled/ reinstalled) version 3.3 trying to get it to work.
Okay.

Right, no reinstall has been nesscessary because everything is now working (touch wood- with older driver still installed). This would suggest to me that the other forum member (kekojeep) is correct, and that there are still bugs in the latest build of your software (3.3).

The other thing I noticed was that the control panel is now showing up in XP's dock, which it wasn't before.

Thank you for a good product (fingers crossed), but I'd also like to see proper support for Mac OSX too (for this Spacemouse and other non-Navigator products- why are Mac users only allowed 2 extra buttons?), especially as companies such as UGS have recently announced full support for their products on every platform. :D
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi ttrw,
there are still bugs in the latest build of your software (3.3).
Always a possibility but I am not sure it applies on this case. If it does, we need to verify it. What makes you thing this is a software bug?
The other thing I noticed was that the control panel is now showing up in XP's dock, which it wasn't before.
Were you starting the driver and the icon did not come up on the systray?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

ngomes wrote:Hi ttrw,
there are still bugs in the latest build of your software (3.3).
Always a possibility but I am not sure it applies on your case. If it does, we need to verify it. What makes you thing this is a software bug?
Were you starting the driver and the icon did not come up on the systray?
ttrw

Post by ttrw »

ngomes wrote:
ttrw wrote:there are still bugs in the latest build of your software (3.3).
Always a possibility but I am not sure it applies on this case. If it does, we need to verify it. What makes you thing this is a software bug?
I'm guessing it's a bug because I installed/ uninstalled/ reinstalled twice with no luck whatsoever before I tried the suggestion about an older driver over the top of the newer one. It was only then that it started working. Before that the buttons 1-8 and '*' were working, but the xyz control wasn't.
ttrw wrote:The other thing I noticed was that the control panel is now showing up in XP's dock, which it wasn't before.
ngomes wrote: Were you starting the driver and the icon did not come up on the systray?
Yes.

I've also got an XP version of Apple Stickies and occasionally that doesn't turn up in the dock (systray? I don't know what you PC folks call it :? ) either. I doubt if this is Microsoft's fault, it's more likely to be your fault, because other icons such as the AVG antivirus always show when started.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi ttrw,
I doubt if this is Microsoft's fault, it's more likely to be your fault, because other icons such as the AVG antivirus always show when started.
The driver icon will only appear if it detects a connected device. There are a number of reasons why this could happen and mostly are hardware (no enough power on the USB, 3D Mouse hardware fault).
If you see this happening again, check if the 3D Mouse is listed on the Device Manager panel and report back here.
ttrw

Post by ttrw »

ngomes wrote:Hi ttrw,
I doubt if this is Microsoft's fault, it's more likely to be your fault, because other icons such as the AVG antivirus always show when started.
The driver icon will only appear if it detects a connected device. There are a number of reasons why this could happen and mostly are hardware (no enough power on the USB, 3D Mouse hardware fault).
If you see this happening again, check if the 3D Mouse is listed on the Device Manager panel and report back here.
hmm- that's interesting. Okay will do.