Universal Cosmonaut (SpaveNav. as mouse or kbd on 64 bit)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

CCRDude

Universal Cosmonaut (SpaveNav. as mouse or kbd on 64 bit)

Post by CCRDude »

Upfront: U.C. isn't designed as competition for RCB9s great driver. It was created only because his driver doesn't work on 64 bit Windows installations, and I still wanted to use my SpaceNavigator to scroll PDFs and change music volume.

Universal Cosmonaut is a tray icon application, not a driver - that means it'll run on 64 bit, but its only emulating mouse and keyboard. It allows you to set up different configurations for every application (samples for iTunes and Windows Media Player included), and automatically switches them based on the application currently in the foreground.

download (blog page)

No fancy 3D images on that settings dialog, but I'm not good enough at graphics on my own, and didn't want to violate 3DConnexions copyright by just ripping them out of the official driver.
sorin

Post by sorin »

thanks. i've played with it a bit and it works ok.

as a request consider implementing the joystick emulation in the future
CCRDude

Post by CCRDude »

A joystick emulation would need a driver, and that what I was trying to avoid (installation required, separate 32/64 bit versions). Might be better to persuade RBC9 to compile a 64 bit version of his solution ;)
CCRDude

Post by CCRDude »

Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

many thanks for the UC. I use it very often, especially with video editors and video players. I often need to use the arrow keys to go frames forward and backward, and it is more convenient with a 3dx device on a laptop where the arrow keys have to be searched visually. With UC I can work faster.

It also works with all devices, Navigator, Pilot, PilotPro, and on both 32 and 64 bit. Even more, it makes the devices recognize or focus the application of my choice, so that I can map the buttons to whatever command I wish. This is not the case without UC.

The 3dx devices are great, with UC they are superb. Very clever what you have done, CCRDude, exactly what I need.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

well you can make the 3dx driver recognize non-supported applications, but it involves some manual work. With UC it is simple and easy, for me there's no need to have separate profiles for each application, I just make a general profile which works for all non-supported apps (arrow keys, numEnter-, Tab-, PgUp-, PgDn-, Home-, End-, Space-key, Undo, Redo, etc.).
jwick

Post by jwick »

We have released 3DxWare 10 open beta.

This release includes keyboard, mouse and joystick emulation.

Please try it out and let us know what you think. There is a new 3DxWare 10 Beta Forum for discussion.

I'm locking this thread so users who get informed about changes to the thread won't miss this announcement. Feel free to start a new thread to continue this discussion, if you wish.