SpaceMouse + USB to Serial = Working!!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

kekojeep

SpaceMouse + USB to Serial = Working!!

Post by kekojeep »

Hi there!

Just posting my experience for anyone who may be having the same problems I do.. I currently own a SpaceMouse, connected via serial port.. yeah, I know it's not supported anymore, etc.. anyway, since I'm working on a laptop, with no serial port for using the SM, I tried using a USB to Serial adapter, specifically one from Prolific (2303), very common in the market.

At first, using the adapter and the right version of 3DxWare for my device (2.8.2), it wouldn't work no matter what. Well, I then decided to try other ways to make it work, and at last, it worked! The method is the following: Just install the newest 3DxWare 3.3.6, install all the plugins I need (3DMax 9, Photoshop CS2, etc).. after installing the latest version, I install the old driver (2.8.2) over the latest.. reboot and voilá, SpaceMouse fully working via Serial to USB adapter, with plugins on Max, PS, Picture Viewer and all the rest.

Maybe 3DConnexion could just update the latest driver to work with the SpaceMouse and older devices, without having to do all this mess I did.. would be great to have something like the unified driver Nvidia distributes for all it's VGAs.

Anyways, if anyone was unable to use their old SpaceMouse like me, with this trick you can! Cheers!

[ ]'s