Is SpacePilot still blocked?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ivankio

Is SpacePilot still blocked?

Post by ivankio »

I have a very old SpaceNavigator, liked the product and purchased a newer fancier SpacePilot. Last year 3dconnexion, in a "funny" move, blocked SpacePilot to run on maya 2015 and my older SpaceNavigator kept working (after all, it's not like former SpacePilot had so different hardware that it was hard to maintain the driver). So I practically shelved Maya 2015 and stuck to 2014.
Some time has passed. By now, have the smarter decision of not actively disabling your more engaged clients been made or the marketing coercion of hardware upgrade blunder still in effect? Since then I really stopped recommending 3dconnexion. If greed wanted 1 new sale from each Pilot costumer, I probably obstructed around 3 new ones since then because of the betrayal.

So, is 3dconnexion repented and made amends to the driver or have I to cease my use of 3dconnexion stuff?
Tehrasha

Re: Is SpacePilot still blocked?

Post by Tehrasha »

Your SpacePilot may be newer -to you-, but it predates the SpaceNavigator by release date.
Production of the SpacePilot ended in 2010, and official support ended in 2013.
There was a brief glimmer of hope, while the 10.x drivers were in beta, that support would continue, it was dropped at the official release.

The SpaceNavigator is still in production, and thus still being supported.
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
ivankio

Post by ivankio »

It's not like the hardware is much different, and "release date" is just one year apart.
As I understand, 3Dconnexion has a known history of hindering their costumers trying to force them to purchase again instead of focusing on making users fully enabled so the word of mouth do the work for profit increase. Not only on the SpacePilot case, but efforts like driver updates that blocked customization of navigator's 2 buttons or removal of Maya drop down menu to make it mandatory to dedicate a button to it. Their obstruction efforts are clearly deliberated.

So I doubt it's the case of stop supporting as it is a case of actively disabling it. I hoped it was the company history, but I see the culture still is. I thought the marketing strategy blunder would be as clear as day by now, but I see marketing suits do not review their presumptions. I leave this repeating rant to improve the chances of going through some 3Dconnexion marketing thick skulls. A shame such nice product designers get paired with those likes.
ivankio

Post by ivankio »

Thank you very much for unlocking the good old space pilot on your driver, 3dconnexion.