How to set up DUAL DEVICES?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

uncleho

How to set up DUAL DEVICES?

Post by uncleho »

DESIRED SETUP: I bought a Space Navigator (for laptop) awhile back and use it for UG/NX CAD work. The laptop workstation is an HP running XP 32bit.

>>>I was given an old, free SpaceBall 5000 (serial) which I bought a Serial-To-USB adapter in order to also use on the same laptop (i.e. When I travel, I want to use the Space Navigator. When the laptop is mounted to docking station at home, I want to use the SpaceBall.).
Note: Current software is 3DxWare V4.2.7; firmware V2.45 and it is recognizing this 'new' SpaceBall 5000-A.

PROBLEM: If I setup to one of the devices, the next time I try the other device... the other device is "not found in the registry"... and it doesn't matter what I do... the other device doesn't work (and the "3D"connexion icon doesn't appear in the system tray, because it cannot find the prior device it was setup with previously... because the alternative device is now connected. The only way to make it work is uninstall the software and reinstall it with the alternative device connected. And vice versa when I want to use the other device. Obviously it is a PITA to uninstall and reinstall constantly... as I switch back and forth.

QUESTION: Is there a version of software that can recognize EITHER alternative devices? Or is there something in the setup somewhere to make it accept both devices??? :cry:
uncleho

Re: How to set up DUAL DEVICES?

Post by uncleho »

Anyone?

Bueller?
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

You posted on a weekend, so...

Unofficial response... The drivers is different between serial and USB devices. The serial driver is not going to see USB devices and vice versa. There may be a config somewhere which tells the GUI which driver/device to look for, which would have been setup at the time of installation, but editing it manually is likely not user-friendly.

My guess is that reinstallation flip-flopping is your only choice in this case.

It is nice to see people still hammering away with the old hardware. Its a pity that they are no longer supported. :(
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
uncleho

Post by uncleho »

Thanks, Tehrasha. Big DUHHH on my part with respect to the weekend. :oops:

Yeah, it's a shame, because the SpaceBall works fine.

I put in an inquiry with 3DConnexion's tech support, so fingers crossed.