SB 5000 USB with 3dxOffice

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

BPC23

Post by BPC23 »

After installing the latest 3DxOffice I don't notice any additional available settings in the 3DxWare configuration menu. Did 3DxOffice install correctly or do I need to somehow "enable" it?

I've got a SpaceBall 5000 USB attached to a Dell Precision 670 running Win XP and Office 2003. I'm using 3DxWare Version 3.1.0, Build 11, Firmware Version 3.2. I find the 3DxOffice plugins located at C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Office\Plugins.

Any help will be appreciated! Also, since I don't have admin priviliges, a full list of items to check will allow me to be very productive with one call to my local tech support agent.

Thank you!

Brian
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi BPC23

Unfortunately the MS-Office suite is not any more supported. If you still want to use the 3D mice in MS Office you will have to install the 3DxOffice separately after each update and take the software on an as-is basis. You will find 3DxOffice only in our archive on the driver download page.
agoenczi
BPC23

Post by BPC23 »

I'm not sure I understand when you say "... you will have to install the 3DxOffice separately after each update...".

I have installed the latest 3DxWare software, then installed the latest 3DxOffice. But, after installing 3DxOffice, there is no additional functionality to 3DxWare (or said another way, there is no additional option in the "3DxWare for" pull-down menu of the Spaceball configuration screen). I should expect to see an axis mapping tab for Office products, right?

Thanks,

Brian
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi BPC23,

The way you installed 3DxOffice is the right one. 3DxOffice doesn't work on a 64 bit system and it was not tested on Vista.

I have an XP system (32 bit with SP 2)) and I installed separately 3DxOffice, it works.

I see in the pull-down list "Microsoft Word - <my> while running Microsoft Word.
agoenczi
BPC23

Post by BPC23 »

I too have an XP system (32 bit with SP 2). I see no options in the pull-down list while running Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

Any ideas for what to check?

Thanks,

Brian
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi BPC23

Did you install 3DxSoftware as an administrator? An 3DxOffice as well?

You could check under "Start -> All Programs -> 3Dconnexion -> " if 3DxOffice is installed. There should be only a readme-file.
agoenczi
BPC23

Post by BPC23 »

Yes, 3DxSoftware and 3DxOffice were installed by an Admin. 3DxOffice shows in the Start menu and the dll's are located in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Office\Plugins. I'm using 3DxWare Version 3.1.0, Build 11, Firmware Version 3.2.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi BPC23

I have another path, altrough the operating systems seem to be identical (mine is a German version, but in this case it shouldn't be any difference):

C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\Office\Plugins

And there I have some files:

Dxo_Default.dll
Dxo_Excel.dll
dxo_explorer.dll
Dxo_Illustrator.dll
Dxo_MSIExplorer.dll
Dxo_OutlookExpress.dll
Dxo_Photoshop.dll
Dxo_Powerpoint.dll
Dxo_Project.dll
Dxo_Word.dll

Do you have those files installed?
agoenczi
BPC23

Post by BPC23 »

Yes, I have those files installed. I also have Dxo_Outlook.dll.

Have you any ideas of what I can check?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Is 3DxSrv.exe in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\ ?

"3DxWare Version 3.1.0, Build 11" If this is correct, it is a very old version. The current version is 6.3.x. There is a good chance that the archive version of 3DxOffice doesn't work with this version of 3DxWare.
BPC23

Post by BPC23 »

Yes, 3DxServ.exe is in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\

I will have the latest 3DxWare version installed and retry, however, I can only find 3DxSoftware v3.3.6 listed in the driver downloads for my SpaceBall 5000 USB. Where may I find the v6.3.x that you mention?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Sorry, the way you stated the version number, I thought you had an old version. 3DxSoftware 3.3.6 has 3DxWare 6.3.x inside it. 3DxSoftware is the entire software package from 3Dconnexion. 3DxWare is just the driver.

Let us know how it works when you get it installed.
BPC23

Post by BPC23 »

I had the latest 3DxSoftware version installed, then the 3DxOffice installed and all is working wunderbar! Thanks for the assistance.

Brian