3dxsrv.exe doesn't start anymore

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mushimas

Post by mushimas »

After this morning boot, the SpaceNavigator (SE) leds stayed off and the 3dxsrv.exe is not listed in the task manager.

Watching the task manager while manually starting the driver, 3dxsrv.exe is listed for less than 1 sec then disappears.
Pluging the SN to another USB port does nothing (meaning, 3dxsrv.exe still quickly disappears).
Rebooting : nothing.
Repairing via the installer : nothing more.
Uninstalling and reinstalling : works for a few times
That happens 3 times this month...

I'm running XP Pro 32.

Many thanks for any help ;-)
Phil
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi mushimas,

Please try to reinstall 3DxSoftware. You could check if Windows recognizes the device as a USB device.
agoenczi
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

Thanks,

I forgot to say that I was using v3.2.2 (don't tell me anymore about v3.3.2, I'm a 3ds max user).

I know that reinstalling works as this is my only solution to retreive the device back. But it only works for a few days and then, 3dxsrv.exe won't load anymore.

As I have to work and stop spending time debugging that so called "gain 30% of productivity" device, I'm back to the driver found in the box (v3.1.7) and see if this "mystery of the vanishing ghost driver" happens again.
And tell you...

See you in 2 days... 3... never again ? Who knows.

Phil
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mushimas,
I forgot to say that I was using v3.2.2 (don't tell me anymore about v3.3.2, I'm a 3ds max user).
We understand the comment. The issue has been fixed and the new version will be made available soon.
I know that reinstalling works as this is my only solution to retreive the device back. But it only works for a few days and then, 3dxsrv.exe won't load anymore.
This requires further analysis. The driver will terminate if it finds no 3D Mouse connected to the system but the behaviour that you reported is more consistent with a hardware issue.

When the driver terminates in this fashion, check if your 3D Mouse is still listed on the Device Manager. If not, try plugging it again in a different USB port.

It would also help if you could generate a log file (option available on the driver menu). The log is created in the user's %APPDATA%/3dconnexion/3dxware folder.
Nuno Gomes
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

Thanks, I'll wait for the next time the problem occurs and tell you.

Phil
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

Hi,

That night, I had to let my computer on for renderings and this morning, the SN was off again. 3dxWare icon still was in the tray but disappeared as I moved the mouse over. I plugged the device to another USB port and manually start 3DxWare and that worked.
It's seems that the computer being doing nothing for about 3 hours (from the last rendering to me back to business) had the driver either crash or, as you said it terminates if the device is no more plugged in, shut down the device (or the USB port) as if it were an economy strategy.
Is there a way in XP Pro to manage the device or USB port regarding economy and tell to device or USB port to never sleep ?

This is the first time I notice this. The problem that made me post here was the driver not loading from time to time when turning the computer on.

Many thanks

Phil

PS : still with v3.1.7 driver
Fred

Post by Fred »

This may help:

Go to the control panel,
open up system
Hardware
Device Manager
Locate your Usb Root Hub
right click and select properties
click on power Management
You can unselect allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.

Fred
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mushimas,
PS : still with v3.1.7 driver
3DxSoftware v. 3.3.6 (which includes the fix for the 3ds Max plug-in), was made available for download late last week. You may download it from here.
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

I don't dare...

Phil
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

mushimas wrote:I don't dare...
If it is not broken, do not fix it. All very true but do note that 3Dconnexion cannot provide support for all driver versions.

We also very much appreciate that customers take the trouble to verify the fixes for problems that they have reported.
mushimas

Post by mushimas »

I dared and the 3.3.6 driver seems working well : smooth viewport navigation and no "suspend motion" auto-check until now.

Cheers to the developper team (yes, I also tell it when I'm happy ;-))

Phil