4000FLX and Cosmos DesignStar

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

JHighet

4000FLX and Cosmos DesignStar

Post by JHighet »

Hello,

I use my 4000FLX with great success in Solid Edge, but can not get it to work with Cosmos DesignStar. We have had DesignStar 4.5 and now 2006 (which includes OEM Solid Works 2006), but the 4000FLX has not worked in either. I've finally got around to asking for help here.

I am on XP Pro and using driver 2.8.2. Please advise how I can troubleshoot this.

TIA,
John Highet
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi JHighet,

For COSMOSDesignSTAR v. 4.5, we have a add-in available on the Archive section of the software download page. Do note that this add-in is no longer in active development. It is provided "as is."

The SolidWorks -based builds of DS are only supported since version 2007, although 2006 should work. That support was added in Release 3.2. Unfortunately, that version does not support your device.

You can try loading the add-in DLL manually: simply drag and drop the "mglsw20u.dll" file (see installation directory of 3Dconnexion software) on DS 2006 and see if that works for you. I believe you have to repeat that procedure each time you launch the application. Usual caveats here: this is not a supported configuration.
Nuno Gomes
Fred

Post by Fred »

Here is the directions from the Design star Forum:

Discussion

COSMOSDesignSTAR™ 2006 doesn't officially support the motion controllers CadMan®, SpaceBall®, SpaceMouse®, and SpaceTraveler™ from 3Dconnexion. Nevertheless, a workaround exists. The procedure below will show you how to make it work.

The COSMOSDesignSTAR 2006 SP0.0 CD or doesn't include the special drivers needed by the motion controllers to interact with COSMOSDesignSTAR 2006. It is necessary to download and install the drivers separately, after having installed COSMOSDesignSTAR 2006.

Note:

§ 3Dconnexion's controllers operate together with a traditional mouse to provide a very efficient and intuitive way to work with 3D geometry. Instead of using a "normal" mouse with one hand as an input device for all activities - including zoom, pan, rotate, select, and click on icons and menus - users of 3Dconnexion's motion controllers can use one hand to move and rotate the part or assembly, and see CAD models and analysis results from all sides and angles, while using the other hand to perform all the normal selection tasks with the mouse.

Procedure to install a driver compatible with COSMOSDesignSTAR 2006

1. Go to the 3Dconnexion web site. Go to Support and then Driver Downloads. Select your Product, OS and Files. Download the driver and launch its installation.

2. During the installation, ask for Custom setup.

3. Select to install the 3Dconnexion Add-In for SolidWorks in addition to the 3Dconnexion 3DxWare driver and any other driver you would like to have.

4. Finish the installation

To activate the 3Dcontrol add-in in COSMOSDesignSTAR 2006

1. Make sure the 3Dconnexion 3DxWare driver is started. If it isn't, then click Start, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion 3DxWare, Start Driver.

2. Open COSMOSDesignSTAR 2006

3. In COSMOSDesignSTAR 2006, click File, Open. Browse to C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion Add-In for SolidWorks.

4. In File of Types, select All files.

5. Open mglsw20u.dll.

The 3Dcontrol menu and toolbar are now active and you can use your motion controller.

Note:

§ Each time you start COSMOSDesignSTAR, you will have to open the dll to activate the driver.
Last edited by Fred on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHighet

Post by JHighet »

Nuno & Fred,

Thanks so much for the quick replies. It works now! :D It will be so nice to continue using the SpaceBall in the various software environments.

Best Regards,
John Highet